Mini MS Slammer

tsteadyslayin

• 6 months later...
This was my first swimbait I ever owned. I ended up catching a fish with it my first day out with it. Sadly, it went to the back of the box after that and new baits started coming in. I need to break it back out.

me too! ima dedicate alot of this year to some new smaller rats to find out their full potential. This last year I did alot better than ii had previously on the smaller rodent baits because i was approaching the way I fished them differently

• 1 year later...

its just a very small bait in the swimbait world, maybe thats why. But most guys I know have a couple in their box and they all have teeth marks. It is really the only smaller rat bait I have used or seen work that I actually think is worth a crap.

Review::

Small bait with a very nice swim on top. The tail and body wiggle really nice on the baits I have got. Im not sure if I like the fact it has one treble. I put a big one on there and it works well, I prefer two trebles on my hard baits but when you get into this size bait the trebles have to be pretty dang tiny to fit two. I like bigger hooks. Most of the time fish inhale this sucker, not very many that dont engulf it in my experience. As with most slammers, each bait will have its own "swagger" in the water. some float very high, some crank down well, others have a muted action that is more subtle. All have worked for me. Im not a big fan of the way the tail is attatched. It can be a pain to put on a new one when the OG rips. It is recessed into the body, so access to the inner part of the worm that usually stays attatched is limited and needs to be picked out with a small screwdriver, pliers or a dental pick. My favorite color is black since I use it for a rodent imatation. This bait gets most use from me in the summer when I can pitch it to pockets of shade and isolated structure(wood mostly). The most effective retrieve has been to twitch/walk the bait in place, pause then slowly swim it out. Its small and light enough to cast accurately and doesnt splash down hard to a good caster can make a very quiet approach with this bait. For being a little baby bait, I still have one in the box even though the rats I usually throw have tails bigger than this whole lure.

Pros::

1.Light, easy to cast, compact for making accurate quiet presentations.

2.great action and I consider every bait having a little different action than the next a plus, not a minus.

3.wooden bait that you can have confidence will last for years. MS Slammers seem to last forever.

4.One hook allows for a large size 1 treble which I think helps put the bigger ones that bite into the boat.

5.easy to get and the price is SUPER!

Cons::

1.tail is a pain to re attatch and if you want to put the exact tail to replace it back it can be hard to source.

2.paint isnt that durable, not bait but rash comes easy, this being said it is a QUALITY wood bait and from my experience has little problems with water intrusion. I guess this a con that includes a pro! :lol:

Hope this adds a little more insight to this review and can help someone with their decision to pick one of these baits up. MS Slammers are made in the USA and I have not been let down by Mike's products yet. I would highly recommend having at least one of these baits in the box, it can get bites when it gets hot and conditions are tough. For under 30 bucks its really hard to go wrong.

I know this is old but thanks for the review. I just bought a mini slammer to try out in my home lake where theres not too many big fish to be found. A fish over 5 would is considered a monster lol but theres a ton of 2s and 3s.

• 2 weeks later...

I have caught some fish on the small slammer. It's a nice little bait. I wish there where two hooks but my hook up ratio has been decent on it. You will catch fish of all sizes but my biggest on it has been about three pounds. But I love it on clam nights great bait to build confidence in the slammer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Seems like I get a lot of short strikes on the mini slammer compared to 7"-9" slammers. I do like the swimming action of the ms slammer though and it does get bit.

agreed. i think the mini is a fantastic lure, only real complaint for me is it seems to get a ton of short strikes. The first night i used it i had 7 strikes and landed 3. Next night i caught a catfish which was a pleasant surprise - didn't know they were even in this particular pond.

as for the dude who said the tails were hard to source..mine was just a trick worm? unless he gives different worms for certain colors?

• 3 months later...

Good bait for me...one of my 1st swimbaits! Glad I saw this review...forgot I had one and it inspired me to pull it out and start chunking it again

My in a Mini Mini...I cat it directly into a metal pole on a dock and it broke the head off where the bill sits...I sanded the front down and re-inserted the bill about and inch back.

Still swims great for me!