Dobyns Swimbait Rod - 867

T Dot

ROD INFO:

- 867 HSB

- 8’6″ 1pc.

- 20-60lb, 4-16oz, Mag Hvy Fast Action

At first I was reluctant to use such a long rod, but a buddy of mine recommended I try this rod out. After digging around my network of friends, I found this rod to be highly recommended. Naturally I had to see what they were talking about for myself, so I placed an order.

:)

I have been using this rod for quite some time now. I have gone through every single one of my everyday use baits, and have had no issues. The sweet spot is around 6-8ounces. They easily handle 250s, hudds and magnums. I thought I would have issues with lighter baits like claws, hardgills, swavers, tricks - but the rod was able to load these baits too.

It has pretty much replaced my 806/807 rods, as those sit on the back burner now. I only hoped they had this rod earlier in the game. Would have saved my arms, back and shoulder. BOMBING baits has never been so effortless!

... now I have a 2nd and 3rd rod on order!

Nice review T Dot. I'd also like to add that even though I am a die hard LDC guy, my only non-LDC rod is a Dobyns 867. Still having second, third, and fourth thoughts on selling it :lol:

Bought the rod last summer to use with my 10" FS's while waiting on my LDC to be made. Just as T Dot said, it handles a very wide spectrum of baits. I've gone as light as a 7" slammer and as heavy as a RM Mother. I believe the sweet spot to be around 5-7.5oz. Reason I say this is because it handles a hudd at 5oz perfectly and also a Deps 250 SS at around 6.2-6.5oz. When I stepped up to a 10" FS Floater(8.16oz) it handled the bait fine, but was just a tad over the sweet spot for me. Same when I stepped down a tad with a 8" FS SS(4.5oz), handled it fine but just a tad under the sweet spot for me. It's all personal preference though, either way, it handles those baits JUST FINE :D

Even though the 867 can handle a RM Mother, I wouldn't personally throw it a lot on this rod. Go with the 908 for the Mother if your going the Dobyns route or a Custom/Parabolic XXH if you choose a LDC. At around the 9oz mark, the 867 starts to feel really under powered to me and for chucking a 10oz+ bait all day, I want it to be as comfortable as possible.

My only complaint with the rod is the reel seat(which I'm pretty sure has been fixed). My Calcutta 401TE fits just a tad loose in it, not uncomfortable, but somewhat loose. Little bit of tape on the reel would probably fix it right up but it's not so uncomfortable to me that I have felt the need to fix it.

Travis.. had the same issue with my Calcutta TE and the reel seat. Slapped a couple pieces of electrical tape on the reel and the wobble went away.

As far as the rod, I'm using it to throw my Slide Swimmer, 12" Slammer, OG Wake and 10" Triple Trout. I really like it especially for the Slide Swimmer and OG Wake. It loads up nicely and does most of the casting work for you. I agree that it is a little heavy for 8" Freestyles, but it throws them fine. I also threw my Deadtwitch on it and while the bait was a little heavy, it did throw it out there without a problem. Would probably go with a 908 if I was going to fish that bait all the time. Pretty solid rod all around, no complaints except the reel seat but that was an easy fix.

• 1 month later...

Nice post..!I also have the 867 got it last Winter been throwing my Slides on it.Up graded to a LDC 8'6"XXH.Had problems with my reel seat on my 300 TE reel..gets loose and wobbles.I I used foil to stop the knocking but havent fished on it much since the LDC Custom.Considering/wanting a Parabolic CustomXH.

3ills/TripleOG

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this review, I wasn't even aware this rod existed... gonna have to pick one up now, been looking for something to handle the deps a little better than the 806... is this the long handle Mike Long version or is it standard handle?

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for this review, I wasn't even aware this rod existed... gonna have to pick one up now, been looking for something to handle the deps a little better than the 806... is this the long handle Mike Long version or is it standard handle?

i will try to get a measurement for you in the near future. i believe the 867 and 908 have the same handle lengthes