Dobyns Swimbait Rod - 867

T Dot

Ill basically second everything that has been said. The 867 is incredibly versatile. Definitely has enough power to use for jig hook hudds, I have fished 8" hudds on it without issues. It can load up and toss a Deps 250 with ease. I have also fished 3oz treble hook glides on it as well just for the sake of testing and while it was a bit over powered, it still was doable. I agree that the sweet spot is probably 5-9oz range. It can toss baits in the 10-13oz range, but you start to feel like it is a bit under powered at that point and I find myself lobbing baits vs. loading up the blank and launching them. Just my 0.02 cents. 

• 2 weeks later...

Re: 68 weedless

If you really only want to throw the 68, I like to throw the weedless 68 on the Dobyns Champion 795, but that's just me. The ROF5 is only 2 oz, and the ROF12 is about 2 1/3 oz, and the 795 is rated for 1-5 oz, but a 68 works really well with it. The moment that you go to a 8 inch hudd though, you'll be looking for another rod (like an 806 or 807). 

• 3 weeks later...

For those of you that own the Dobyns 807. i know the lure ratings is 3-10 oz. and Dobyns rods are way exaggerated. i wanna know what is the sweet spot on this rod. i know its a hudd rod and great for jig hooks style and that is what i want. i just need to know if it could handle 6.5oz to 7+ oz baits such as the Defiant trout or the new Mattlures trout...thx in advance...

Jimmy