Setup..Need information..Preferences..and Ideas on what nex

tsteadyslayin

This is my setup as of today..My grandpa just passed and had over a thousand reels..Dating from recent to back to the 70's and 80's and from even HIS dad..Well I did a little digging around and found some 200 class reels like my Bantam Curado CU200..Well i also found a couple bigger reels but nothing special like a calcutta 400d or anything of that nature..dont get me wrong, I love what I have but who wouldnt like FINDING somthing like that..Well yeah, thats that..I found a Shimano Corsair 400 and a Shimano Corvallus 300..Both great reels but a red headed step-child compared to the Daiwa Pluton or any Calcutta..Both reels are new out of the box and run like butter..but the difference between them and the others is the inside..they dont last long..I do run my Bantam Curado 200 and Shimano Calcutta 200TE for smaller baits..Just looking for something besides what I have to chuck the big boys..

post-2583-14252988898672_thumb.jpeg

Setup;

Shimano Corsair 400

AllStar light OffShore rod.

17lbs test

So what I want/need is yalls preferences on, brand of Line, lbs test, what preference in rod besides a LDC..even though I would love one :roll::roll::roll::roll: and what preference in reel...Thanks for your thoughts and ideas. Oh and last but not least any special baits I should keep my eye out for? 8-)8-)

Nice finds! For me personally I like the Curado 300/301 for the smaller 1-5oz baits and a Calcutta 401TE for the bigger baits. Rod....LDC :lol::lol: But a Dobyns 867 is nice too. I use P-Line CXX 25 & 30lb tests but you can get away with smaller or bigger depending on your preference. As far as baits, pay attention to the got 'em section ;)

Nice finds! For me personally I like the Curado 300/301 for the smaller 1-5oz baits and a Calcutta 401TE for the bigger baits. Rod....LDC :lol::lol: But a Dobyns 867 is nice too. I use P-Line CXX 25 & 30lb tests but you can get away with smaller or bigger depending on your preference. As far as baits, pay attention to the got 'em section ;)

+1, Travis has a lot more swimbait fish under his belt. So im still a noob and you can take what I have to say for what its worth, but I use curado 301 DSV's (Thanks Louie!), LDC's, Trik Line mono from 18-25lb (depending on the lure, Thanks Louie!) and as far as lures go, rp's, hg's, hudds, and 3:16's.

I would PM T Dot as he uses Dobyns rods if you want another opinion on a rod. He has been swimbaiting for a while and really knows what up in terms of gear and appropriate equipment.

Youre the man! really appreciate it.

+1, Travis has a lot more swimbait fish under his belt. So im still a noob and you can take what I have to say for what its worth, but I use curado 301 DSV's (Thanks Louie!), LDC's, Trik Line mono from 18-25lb (depending on the lure, Thanks Louie!) and as far as lures go, rp's, hg's, hudds, and 3:16's.

I would PM T Dot as he uses Dobyns rods if you want another opinion on a rod. He has been swimbaiting for a while and really knows what up in terms of gear and appropriate equipment.

Thanks Brooooo!!

daiwa lexa 300 is hard to beat right now. Its a low pro thats been handling BIG baits since it dropped. It also has 3 ratios available. If not a lexa Id say go with a LUNA in the 300 size for the big baits, but im a daiwa guy :D Rods besides an LDC, i guess you must want a cheaper option?! If so than an Okuma GS or Tackle Industrys rod will work for you. they get the job done, but for 235 shipped you cant beat a LDC Prod. XH. Everyone has their own opinion on line, but PF has really worked out for me, I used Big game forever but the PF is way thinner and handles business like a champ! I converted after my first use. Baits, get the biggest rat you can find and dont put it down.. :lol:8-)

Good luck!

daiwa lexa 300 is hard to beat right now. Its a low pro thats been handling BIG baits since it dropped. It also has 3 ratios available. If not a lexa Id say go with a LUNA in the 300 size for the big baits, but im a daiwa guy :D Rods besides an LDC, i guess you must want a cheaper option?! If so than an Okuma GS or Tackle Industrys rod will work for you. they get the job done, but for 235 shipped you cant beat a LDC Prod. XH. Everyone has their own opinion on line, but PF has really worked out for me, I used Big game forever but the PF is way thinner and handles business like a champ! I converted after my first use. Baits, get the biggest rat you can find and dont put it down.. :lol:8-)

Good luck!

Appreciate the help, have been looking at lexa 300's for a while now just have to gather the funds to grab one.. and yes I have been looking at the Okuma GS too. Thanks tons!

Hey bro... fellow teenager here, so take this for what it's worth. Look up Low Down Custom Rods on google. Ben is a member here (echoeed) and a super cool guy!

You will save yourself a lot of disappointment and money if you buy an LDC right off the bat. I bought a Dobyns rod, liked it, fished an LDC and didn't like the Dobyns anymore. Ben makes custom swimbait rods. They're perfect. An 8' Production XH would run you $235, and you will never buy a rod off the shelf in a store again. You WILL end up getting an LDC, so why not get it right off the bat?

Lexa 300 is my favorite swimbait reel, ever.

Hey bro... fellow teenager here, so take this for what it's worth. Look up Low Down Custom Rods on google. Ben is a member here (echoeed) and a super cool guy!

You will save yourself a lot of disappointment and money if you buy an LDC right off the bat. I bought a Dobyns rod, liked it, fished an LDC and didn't like the Dobyns anymore. Ben makes custom swimbait rods. They're perfect. An 8' Production XH would run you $235, and you will never buy a rod off the shelf in a store again. You WILL end up getting an LDC, so why not get it right off the bat?

Lexa 300 is my favorite swimbait reel, ever.

:lol::lol::lol: love the help. Just got a job, so it should help a ton..Appreciate it will keep that in the back of my head too! ;)

Curado 301 and Calcutta 401te. The te is on a custom LDC rod and the curados are on a gloomis gl2 heavy swim bait rods. 50 and 65 lb power pro in moss green. I think the Loomis is a great rod for the money.

i would keep some of that equipment and put it in a special place. 1 day you may regret selling it off. most of that stuff is irreplaceable. after all, you should do has they have done - pass it down!

:)

i try to get rid of dust collectors. so if you think you will have no use for it (not even sentimental value), i say get rid of some (not all) of the stuff. keep what is useful. i would say, keep most if not all of the lures. set a goal, and catch a fish on each lure they have passed onto you.

i am a big fan of shimano and dobyns. they simply work for me! ...and what isnt broken dont fix. so i have stuck with them for a very very long time.

small = 4oz and under baits - shimano curado 301dsv (18-20lbs mono)

large = +4oz baits - shimano calcutta 401d (25-30lbs mono)

*dont skimp on the line size when first using bigger baits. you will lose many fish and many baits this way.

if you are starting out with baits, go with the proven hudd and triple trout. these 2 baits have a long and great history!

biggest mistake most people make, is the failure to use the proper tools for the job. this also include hooks and split rings. these bigger swimbait fish only got big for 1 reason, they are smarter, bigger and badder than most of the fish in the lake. to bring them in - you need to have your sh!t together (by that i mean equipment).

gl

i would keep some of that equipment and put it in a special place. 1 day you may regret selling it off. most of that stuff is irreplaceable. after all, you should do has they have done - pass it down!

:)

i try to get rid of dust collectors. so if you think you will have no use for it (not even sentimental value), i say get rid of some (not all) of the stuff. keep what is useful. i would say, keep most if not all of the lures. set a goal, and catch a fish on each lure they have passed onto you.

i am a big fan of shimano and dobyns. they simply work for me! ...and what isnt broken dont fix. so i have stuck with them for a very very long time.

small = 4oz and under baits - shimano curado 301dsv (18-20lbs mono)

large = +4oz baits - shimano calcutta 401d (25-30lbs mono)

*dont skimp on the line size when first using bigger baits. you will lose many fish and many baits this way.

if you are starting out with baits, go with the proven hudd and triple trout. these 2 baits have a long and great history!

biggest mistake most people make, is the failure to use the proper tools for the job. this also include hooks and split rings. these bigger swimbait fish only got big for 1 reason, they are smarter, bigger and badder than most of the fish in the lake. to bring them in - you need to have your sh!t together (by that i mean equipment).

gl

This.

You're gonna want to make sure you have the "perfect" setup for what you want to do, and most importantly it has to feel comfortable to you. I would say start out with an LDC 8' Production Heavy / Lexa 300 6.3 / 24# P-Line CXX. Tie a perfect palomar or san Diego Jam knot, if it looks wrong, retie!