Calcutta D

Fat-G

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the smoothest reel I've ever used, and I love the longer handle. I like the silver/black more than the gold of the TE. I like that there are less moving parts and it's easier to maintain.

The profile/size in comparison to the TE wasn't a factor for me. I don't find the TE uncomfortably large or anything. The whole spool/brake access thing didn't bother me either because I don't ever adjust them. But you do still have to take 3 screws out and the spool to oil the spool bearing on that side. The spool bearings come packed with grease so either clean them out and oil them, or just replace them

I feel like the D isn't as easy to cast, doesn't cast as well, as the TE. Taller, narrower spool, and if I fill it up with line, it takes a lot more thumb. It could be that I just suck...

I like the 401D a lot. I wouldn't bother with a 300/301D but that's me. They're almost the same weight as the 400, a little bit taller, but narrower.

I think I'd still rather have a TE considering the price of the new D, but it's a nice reel, and on sale it's a good value I think.

• 2 weeks later...

i just got one. its smooth, not sure about under heavy load since i havent caught anything yet. it doesnt cast as easy as the TE400 but it throws the bait out FAR once you get it down. plastic star drag has some plays to it when buttoned down. whats up with shimano's dartanium 2? it came with 3 paper like drag washers, the top one smeared with grease and bottom two bone dry.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a 401 d for a little while now and have landed stripers up to 26lbs on it.

What I like about it:

1- narrow profile equals improved ergonomics

2- the handle closer to the reel paired with the narrow profile does make a huge difference on rotational torque which is huge when you fish big baits and fight big fish

3- same old buttery smooth shimano

What I don't like:

1- gear ratio is to slow (slower than the te) especially when you have a lot of line out on a long cast, it really takes up line slow. Probably doesn't help that I fish 30 on it either.

2: the disengaging level wind sucks if you cast a big baits you need to make sure it's towards the center of the spool and not off to one side or else it really kills casting distance and seems to put a lot of streets on the reel.

Overall I really like this real and prefer it over my te. I do wish they made a faster retrieve

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
What I don't like:

1- gear ratio is to slow (slower than the te) especially when you have a lot of line out on a long cast, it really takes up line slow. Probably doesn't help that I fish 30 on it either.

2: the disengaging level wind sucks if you cast a big baits you need to make sure it's towards the center of the spool and not off to one side or else it really kills casting distance and seems to put a lot of streets on the reel.

Overall I really like this real and prefer it over my te. I do wish they made a faster retrieve

Mike

I'm thinking about getting a 400D for big baits 8-12oz baits.

1)If you fish 30lb wouldn't it pick up faster since the spool gets thicker with more line?

2) Disengaging level winds cast further what kind of sounds does your reel make?

What I don't like:

Mike

I'm thinking about getting a 400D for big baits 8-12oz baits.

1)If you fish 30lb wouldn't it pick up faster since the spool gets thicker with more line?

2) Disengaging level winds cast further what kind of sounds does your reel make?

With the narrower spool and 30 lb line, at the end of the cast, there is not much line left making the line pick up much slower. With thinner line you will have more left on the spool at the end if a cast

Noise is just the line against the line guide when it's off to one side

• 4 weeks later...