Calcutta D

Fat-G

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the little time that I have had my 400D, I like it so far. It's very smooth, holds plenty of line (30lb P-Line PF) and casting is great though I do think the TE may have a slight advantage over the D series on casting length. As far as durability, only time will tell.

• 1 month later...

One area this reel shines is cranking power! I've been fishing it for about a year now and have got some nice linesides and green bass on it. Jus point the tip down and crank um in. Smokes um no problem.

One area this reel shines is cranking power! I've been fishing it for about a year now and have got some nice linesides and green bass on it. Jus point the tip down and crank um in. Smokes um no problem.

What part of the reel would you say contributes to the power increase? Is it noticeable over a TE?

What part of the reel would you say contributes to the power increase? Is it noticeable over a TE?

That's a good question and I don't have an answer. I would say that it is noticeable over the te

• 3 weeks later...
I noticed the handle is a bit longer than the te when compared

+1. The Calcutta D has a huge handle and that definitely helps to develop more torque. The giant handle is one of my favorite features of that reel and I almost hate to fish anything with a smaller handle now.

• 4 weeks later...

Alright about a year into this reel now and the gear on the side plate is making noise during casting and retrieving it in. It sounds like the gear but I already greesed it also. Any idea what I can chk? I still hates that water leaks in the reel into the gears, bearings, and spool shaft causing less distance on casting

...the gear on the side plate is making noise during casting and retrieving it in.

the gears dont move during a cast, so there may be more than one area that needs attention.

if noise during casting then i'd check the spool bearings and look for spool rub, atypical wear on the spool rim if it touches the reel frame.

if noise during retrieve then i'd check the condition of the anti-reverse bearing and with X-ship both pinion support bearings.

shimano USA doesnt mention it but one feature that was touted overseas is that the reel can be hosed off and has been engineered to allow water to drain:

19.jpg

from my observation as an owner of the 300D/400D i dont think complete drainage is guaranteed :)

Ur right the gears dont move. I open it up and seems like shimano put alot of greese in it. With water leaking into it after a while the grease smears all over the 2 bearings by the spool tension knob and some on the spool shaft. Maybe this might be the cause? So I took the reel apart and clean it with just light grease on. Guna give it a try tomorrow and see how it goes.

• 5 months later...
Ur right the gears dont move. I open it up and seems like shimano put alot of greese in it. With water leaking into it after a while the grease smears all over the 2 bearings by the spool tension knob and some on the spool shaft. Maybe this might be the cause? So I took the reel apart and clean it with just light grease on. Guna give it a try tomorrow and see how it goes.

How did it go? I'm looking to buy a 400 D