Calcutta D

Fat-G

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got mine and the spool adjustment buttoned down won't hold a 200 s waiver?

You shouldn't need to be able to hold the weight of the bait with spool tension. Think about it. Spool shaft is the same size in a curado 200 and a Calcutta 300/400. Contact area on the end of the shaft is the same, where tension (friction) is applied. You have to apply a lot more pressure on the end of the spool shaft to hold a 4oz bait from moving, compared to a 1/2oz jig. You're going to end up killing casting distance, and in a much shorter time dent the shims/spacers under the tension cap to the point where you'll have to replace them after you flip them a couple times.

The most tension I ever use is maybe just enough to take the side to side slop out of the spool. Most times, no tension at all. Try it. A lot easier to throw big baits on loose reels than regular small stuff.

Also, the tension knob is really tight on the new Calcutta. It'll loosen up after a bit, but you may not have even bottomed out the tension cap yet. If there's no side to slide slop in the spool you may have though. Wanted to point that out just in case.

• 2 weeks later...

2 years later, mine needed service at the beginning of the summer. I broke it down and cleaned and oiled it. Fished it 2 times in the surf this summer and man that was a bad idea. Corrosion explosion started, spool bearings started getting grumpy and clutch IAR bearing completely crapped out after a few more trips in fresh water.

There is no perfect reel. I still feel like this is a solid reel. Over priced since it can't take the salt! But I still like it. I am saving my money for the new conquest coming out next year.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...
Just got my 400d now waitin for my dobyns 8'6 mag heavy to dress it up... Any down side to the new 400

Down sides would be: Stacks line to one side, casting big baits when the line guide is off to the side (herky jerky), and long term durability.

Positives are: Improved ergonomics, Cranking power/smoothness (Xship)

So I have now completely serviced my reel, new spool bearings, new Roller clutch bearing, new drag, cleaned and re-lubed the whole reel. Man, it fished good for another trip or two, now its like a coffee grinder.

I have fished this reel for 2 years as my go to reel 1-2 times per week. My final conclusion is it doesn't meet the expectations of what a shimano Calcutta should be. It is no longer smooth which is understandable but compared to my TE which has been fished since 2008-ish as hard or harder than this reel, they are not on the same level of quality and performance.

I believe that in terms of performance and feel, that the D is an upgrade from the Standard Calcutta (B) and should not be priced at the $365 price tag.

It is still a good reel and I was mostly pleased with it for the 1st year or so of using it. However it is not a forever reel like the TE was. Buy one and fish it forever with a servicing thrown in every couple of years.

• 3 months later...

I recently got the 401D and Im pretty pleased with it so far. I've got mine mounted on a BBR966 with 30b mono and I think its a great match. I like how easily this reel cranks in big baits. It feel great in my hand and its not as big and bulky as other 400 size round reels. Im not a huge fan of the star drag design but it's not a deal breaker by any means. In terms of price, I do think it's a little more pricey than it should be. I think $300-325 would be a little more fair, but thats just me. Overall, Im really happy with mine and Im anxious to see how well it handles fish in the new year.

• 2 years later...