Untouchable.

colbypearson

Ok. Let's start this ish out by saying, I had no scale on board.

Ok now that that's out of the way, let me go sit in the corner and pout for a minute.

Ok now to the story......

So it all started sometime mid last week when an outburst of kindness and giving took over my boat and me and a friends pre-fishing vessel for the day.

I just got one of those fancy ego g2 slider nets from a raffle trade, and I asked my buddy "Hey man, I know you have been having a hell of a time with trebles in your mesh net, do you want my old one? (rubber)" He says yes, and a few days later I text him- "Hey man your scale is in my boat" He says just keep it. I'm stoked, noone can have too many good scales.

A week goes by, and we carpool to the bass club meeting. He's as much as a fishing fanatic as myself so like usual we plan some sort of post meeting trip, and decide to head to the lake.

He was driving so we decide to take his boat. It ALWAYS had that scale on-board, and I mean always.

To make the trip interesting, as it is a lake we have fished with hundreds of baits over hundreds of days and nights...... I say "Ok dude, to make it interesting, lets ONLY bring swimbaits"

He agreed. We each grabbed 3 swimbait rods and loaded up the boat. Got to the lake around 11.

I immediately start fishing a weedless bait, (pretend I don't have it yet) :lol: ....

Almost immediately I get some small bites I wouldn't expect to hook, then a good bite I hook-up with, it sloshes and i get about a 3.5lbr. First good bite on the bait and I hooked it, I was REALLY impressed by that.

I keep fishing and get 3 TOTALLY disgusting hard bites on the bait, I hook two that pull off and flat out miss one... I keep fishing though, slightly annoyed at missing fish (The grip tape on my okuma XH was sticking to my shirt and jamming me up - not kidding :lol: )

So I make a cast, fully in the zone, confidence through the roof, casting perfection.

The grind of my curado was almost comforting as I felt the bait thump it felt right, natural.... Then a mid cast OCD impulse completely clouds my thought process ..."OK, now stop reeling"

And I do.

Bait sinks, a second after my instinctual hunch my line bounces like it got hit by a bat the size of a cat.

(Heart sinks) "Awkward gut punch feeling" Lean toward the bow, rod points toward this fish, take a full stride back and let the Okuma XH do all the work, rod loads from ass to tip. In disbelief my missed hookup streak had just ended.

I turn to my buddy.

Dude.........Big one...

He grabs the light and net, as the fish sloshes 20 yards out, total big fish head barely out of the water multiple second long slosh you could see even with no moon.

The fish finally gets into the light beam, I'm fully expecting to see a 4-7lbr come into the beam. Fish enters beam. To explain the width of a truly giant northern fish is near impossible.

We freak.

The fish approaches the net, its too big, way to big...

So my buddy chucks the net to the back deck, I pretty much die at that moment.

"Girl screams, noooooooo not the net, get it get it"

He lips it. Dude, thats a ten. (He fished the FLW Everstart on the Delta in May, and had to do the EXACT same thing when his pro hooked a fish that was too big for the net (Ironic!) , he lipped the 2nd big fish in that FLW, that weighed 10lbs8oz, he said my fish was just as big)

I man hug him... and say "Dude I was SO "not allowed" scared!"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol:

Put the fish in the well, awkardly fits sorta, I sit down and chug a liter of cranberry juice...Minor detail, got sick from cranberry juice speed chugging :lol:

We don't have the scale and debate going to hunt someone down, but decide its not worth it, it wasnt my pb or a state record, just what I usually deem as an "untouchable".

Well the next best thing to weighing the fish is getting accurate LxG. So I do. The fish was 25.5 inches long, and had a girth of 20 inches.

Anyways we take a few pics and let this untouchable go.

db405a95-32a1-4b2d-935b-a95e6d87e075_zps18c0a40b.jpg?t=1373399710 25.5x20

My new swimbait "Cast to Catch" (not video) Personal best! I say cast to catch because when visiting friends in socal last spring I caught and weighed a fish that was right at 10lbs onboard with SwimbaitsLMV. The fish I caught last night I can confidently say was as big if not bigger.

Nice fish! Fun story too :D

HOWEVER!!! Shame on you for not having a scale at this point in the game :roll::lol:

Man I could have a few more teens if I start leaving my scale at home :lol::lol:

Gota tease... :lol:

Fun stuff Colby 8-):mrgreen:

In my defense the last tourny I fished my "4lbr" actually was 6+ on the tourny scale :lol:

Thanks Don, :D