What would you buy?

Ring King

I've got an LDC Production Heavy that I need to purchase a reel for. I sold a couple reels today and have about $270 to work with. Originally I was looking at a used Calcutta 300TE that I found for sale for $275. Once I got to looking at te detailed pictures of it I noticed it appears decently rashed. I'd probably rate it a 7.5-8.5 out of 10 cosmetically. So now I'm not so convinced about purchasing it. I can buy brand new in the box Calcutta 400B reels for about $215.

What reel would you buy? Everything I throw is Shimano and I'd like to stick with them. Should I buy the new 400B, wait for a different 300/400TE to show up, or buy a new Curado 300E to go on it?

if you're patient you can find a better deal on a TE, I got mine on this board for $215! The TE is a workhorse and hard to come by since it got the ax. All depends on if you've got time I guess. Outer rash isn't bad, it is all about whats inside :)

I know this wasn't an option but I would go for a Calcutta 300/400 D. Smoothest reel I have owned and casts a mile especially once you get it dialed in. As long as you can unscrew some screws accessing brakes isn't a problem. I believe SeanM here on the boards has one for sale

I've been fishing my 400b this whole year and I can agree that it's a little overkill since I rarely throw lures over 3.5 ounces. I'll still keep the shimano around for when I make the jump to the deps 250 and mother (one day). In the meantime I have a Daiwa Lexa 300 on my way in the mail. I can't say anything about the Daiwa first hand but from how others have been talking about this reel I think it's something right up the alley for fisherman throwing 7-8" lures.

I currently have my Dobyns 795 paired with a Curado 300DSV and it's a good match. I put one of my Calcutta 400B reels on my Dobyns 807 since that's the heaviest rod I have. I figured it was a good pairing for throwing my heaviest lures. The LDC Heavy seems to be an in between rod per the ratings so I guess it could go either way with a Calcutta or a Curado. I wish I could find a mint condition Curado 300DSV to go on it. That would be my second choice to finding a mint Calcutta 300TE.

I have a 400te super tuned with aftermarket handle I would trade for a pluton...I don't fish it much never even came close to spooling a 300 sized reel don't see a reason to fish a reel that heavy when I never need that much line