Losing your expensive swimbaits! What do you think...

radicalrat

A couple of days ago I cast off a 6 inch lunker Punker. There was some current in the water so the bait was floating bank towards the bank. About halfway in a osprey attacked the bait and hooked itself, first hardbait I've lost. Other than that I have lost various 3:16 softbaits to trees and water hoses

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pickeral bite offs worry me more than snags here in MA. Had one bite off my Pats Perch a few weeks ago that was a tough loss. I had a dobyns 807/toro winch fall out of the boat never to be seen again that was tough.

Part of the game i have a plug knocker and retie often and just hope them pickeral stay away.

I went into the drink the other day to get my chart fs trout and recovered it... People can think whatever, not gonna lose a lure if I can help it. Would go swimming any day (keep a couple pairs of goggles in the car).

All suck, but I try to have a back-up so I can just "move on". Besides deep snagged soft baits which sometimes even a knocker won't get back, all were, to some degree, preventable with the following lessons:

-- When fishing from shore, if you don't go swimming you will lose baits on various pieces of "structure". (1 TT and a Hardbass)

-- Always retie after grinding a line over rocks (1 TT lost)

-- Don't cast with the line tip wrapped. (1 HPH lost)

-- When catching big stripers next to wooden piers/docks, don't make parallel casts right next to the structure. Better to cast more perpindicular so your pull direction can control and move the striper away from the wood. (1 HPH and 1 TT)

-- Periodically, check guides for cracks (1 HPH lost)

-- I hate gar (1 HPH and 1 TT lost)

Lost a ss Real deal 15 mins after buying it. Tied a terrible knot (was just too excited to fish the bait) It was just after ice out before I had to be into work...Stripped out of my work clothes and swam out 15 yards before my body started to shut down....decided it wasnt worth it haha.

Made me sick....

I have lost a few others some fs shads, hudds, woodtail, real prey trouts and a bunch of rising sons (damn pike love em)

Now its more something I realize is part of the game and figure on loosing a few baits a year.

Although colby I believe it was u that posted the video of trying to get the jig unstuck from the log and falling in....made me laugh as I have been there before :)

I have a knot I tie with braid (slammers, woodtails wake jrs) that I literally tie once a year....never lost a bait on it. I have straighted out hooks pulling it free...pulled up logs from the depths. Its a old fly tieing knot. The crazy thing is I can take 2 fingers and pull it apart

We all lose stuff..it's just part of fishing. If you look at the grand scale it's cheaper than going out to eat a couple times or the new trendy fads.

Two most important things for me.

1. Use good and NEW line. People buy $200 rods and $300 reels to cast $200 baits and they use $5 line?

2. Get TWO lure retrievers and LEARN how to use them. I fish out of a boat/kayak 99% of the time and I'm not afraid of throwing baits anywhere. Don't set the hook on wood and don't pull and slack in rock..constant pressure til you bang it with a retriever and your good. Have only lost two Hudds when I couldn't get them out of the rock dams. If your not in the ish your not going to get half your bites.

Although colby I believe it was u that posted the video of trying to get the jig unstuck from the log and falling in....made me laugh as I have been there before :)

:lol: Did it twice in the same day! ON THE SAME LOG :oops:

Thankfully it was a fish both times, 2.5lb smallies with 20$ baits in their mouth's haha.

I have been incredibly lucky not to lose any spendy baits, casted off some spendy wakes but always gotten them back. The most expensive bait I have lost is only a 8'' koke hudd :D . Guess that makes sense considering all I fish is 60% soft baits, 30% glides and 10% other :lol: .

I fell into the drink. Dropped a curado 200 and compre rod in 18+ feet happened so fast I didn't even think about my rod luckily my friend grabbed my line and I pulled it in. Also I casted off a 6" huddleston that I think has yet to hit the ground :lol: . But I caught a lot of fish on it first so it wasn't bad losing it and it wasn't pretty funny how far it went.

A few of my baits I cant imagine losing. I know theres only one, I can make a new one but with wood baits and my build style baits are never exactly the same.. good and bad I guess. My fav rat has DD's tons of big sub 10lb fish, striper and an otter. Id be heartbroken if she went sailing... that being said, I still chuck it in the nasty places... a baits no good to me if I cant fish it where the big girls live.

I've lost a few I got way points marked on them hoping the water drops enough for me to get back some day. I throw my baits in some nasty stuff my lure retriever is my best friend. I spent a half hour getting a bait out of a tree 30 ft deep. Threw it right back in there and stuck an 8lb