-- Caring for your Baits --

Fishing434

Hey Guys...

Hope this isn't a repeat, did some searching and couldn't find anything...

anyways, I was wondering what a lot of you guys do to take care of your swimbaits (especially with how much they cost now!) in regards to care after fishing and during storage for the winter etc?

Basically all I do Is hang them out to dry after I use them... whats every everyone else do and what do you find that works best for you??

thanks so much Guys!

-Fishing434

I put rubber hook covers on every treble to prevent hook rash and don't tie baits on until I start fishing so they don't get damaged banging against my rod. I keep them all in the house all year and dry them off after use. I also keep soft swimbaits hanging vertical to prevent deformation.

this is the box i took with me in the boat last time. besides this i toss em in scrap book boxs :lol::lol: there gonna get hook rash and teeth marks anyways!!! :lol: [attachment=0]box.jpg[/attachment]

Ceaser knows! There not even broke in until there all rashed up

I throw em in a box with the rest of em weather they cost $20 or $200 to busy fishing to worry about stuff like that

That sums it up for me too. My box looks like the one above. Have thought about hook covers. I will let you know if that ever happens. :lol:

My baits hang from the wire shelves in the fishing closet when they are off-duty (I use s-hooks crimped onto the wire at regular intervals), but when I'm fishing they hang out in the "ready room" - Plano 3630 deep Stowaways.

There's nothing wrong with putting hook covers on. Hook covers not only protect your baits from unnecessary damage, but they also protect your hooks from becoming dull/damaged. As far as storage, I keep my baits in deep Plano boxes. The baits that are being used stay tied on the rods. The baits that I might use stay readily available.

My boat box looks like Ceasers most of the time. I have a Lakewood swimbait box that holds almost all of my baits. Here is a pic of the lakewood its a bit empty because my boat box is full lol

2012-06-20_13-03-44_386-1.jpg

Hard ones hang and soft ones go in the boxes. I usually lay the boxes in the other way so the baits dont bunch up inside. Sad thing is they quit maaking this box and the smaller one. They still do make muskie bait boxes that would work. Also plano makes a box for muskie fishing that would work good for hard baits fora day trip.

I drill holes on my storage boxes to allow the water in the joints to dry out to prevent rust, add silicon packs you find shipped with electronics to remove moisture and I use hook bonnets to at least try to maintain the paint as long as I can.

For saltwater I rinse my baits thoroughly then apply a little (very little) vegetable oil where the hook meets the split ring. You can not prevent rust when using these baits in saltwater, but this will keep the rust from spreading in storage.