Lake Trout Through the Ice

CheeseWeasel

Come Jan 12 Im going to start making trips to go fishing Lake Trout through the ice. Any one ever use a swimbait to do this? I know lake trout like rainbow trout and a lot of people jig white 5inch tubes for them so I was figuring I'd give some paddle tail swimbaits for them. So again anyone try it?

There will def. be pictures and vid when I do go on this mission.

You can set up a rig with some swimbaits like a dropshot. I have caught fish straight under the boat in deep water this way. Attach a drop line from the nose of the bait or sometimes you can use the bottom hook ring if the line tie is on the top of the head. Attach enough weight to the drop line get the bait where you want it.

I've dropshoted swimbaits before. Its fun and EZ. Hard or soft baits. Hard baits are a pain though because the trebels always want to get tangled with the dropshot line.

When I use hard baits I take off the trebles to dropshot them. Just have to think of new ways to rig them without trebles. I dropshot much the same way you would with a regular dropshot but just use a swimbait.

I've been thinking about this a lot recently as our better lake trout waters are about to ice up here in CO. I had one successful open water trip (my only laker trip of the year) right after ice out when I bounced an ROF 12 Hudd on the bottom, just as you would a big tube. Here's that fish:

33HuddLaker2010S.jpg

I think that if you took an ROF 12 or 16 you could fish it just like a tube (very subtle, slow taps on the bottom), but if the fish were suspended, as they often are, then maybe an ROF5 might be the way to go. One thing I've been struggling with is deciding on a rod to use - there are some fairly heavy laker ice fishing rods offered by Thorne Brothers, but I wonder about cutting down an old Ugly Stik casting rod to about 4' long to get something that's tough, yet flexible enough to deal with a rampaging laker under the ice.