What baits do you throw in Winter?

radicalrat

Drill a hole in the ice and hang a big dead pond shiner for Northern Pike. Read all the big bass swimbait reports and wish it was open water time.

This post made me laugh. While we don't usually get full ice over here in MO, its funny to hear what some of the warmer climate guys call "Winter"

Yup, winter here is a bit more severe - I've dropped Big Hammers and Hudds through the ice, but so far nothing has eaten them. I'm not giving up, though...

Before the lakes get a lid on them, my late fall/early winter arsenal is Hudds, Hudds, and more Hudds, with the occasional wake bait if there's a dock or a remnant weed patch.

Magnuns, Hudds and power bait for trout haha

You let those trout play a little to see if anything tries to eat them? Ha.

I've always wondered if a Hudd mod with some powerbait coming out the anal vent area would catch more bass where stocking is common.

In addition to the previous baits mentioned, I do well in winter with a HPH very very slow rolled and a 7" TT retrieved with 2-3 slow handle turns mixed w/ half second pauses.

Yea unless you got grass or the fish are suspended, the bottom is the deal, just a matter of presenting the bait slowly wherever they are located.

I just started to fully commit myself to swimbaits and was throwing a ROF12 hudd by the dam in the reservoir I fish, grass runs out to 15 feet of water and I have a hard time fishing the weededge without havingmy bait covered in them, do you slow roll a rof 5 over them or fish a bait In the middle of the water column and try to get them to come up?

Yea unless you got grass or the fish are suspended, the bottom is the deal, just a matter of presenting the bait slowly wherever they are located.

I just started to fully commit myself to swimbaits and was throwing a ROF12 hudd by the dam in the reservoir I fish, grass runs out to 15 feet of water and I have a hard time fishing the weededge without havingmy bait covered in them, do you slow roll a rof 5 over them or fish a bait In the middle of the water column and try to get them to come up?

i think the rof5 is easier to fish. you can fish it slower and in shallow water. no fish for me on it yet so what do i know. :roll:

I'd fish a weedless rof 5 in that shallow of water. Or a rof 0 with a nail weight, butch rigged. Keeping it on the edge of the grass line or above the grass.

• 3 years later...