Show Off Your Swimbait Setup

triple_illusion

Alright this is my first set up on a budget due to taking care of bills from wife five surgeries related to breast cancer. I wanted to make sure I liked throwing swimbaits as well as learning to throw them accurately before I get bigger stuff when I upgrade. Good information on this forum on rods, reels, and line to use; so I’ve been reading, planning and saving for the eventual upgrade.

The rod is a Cabela’s Pro Guide IM6 PGC706-1 with a Lew’s Super Duty reel with Suffix 20lb. test mono. Those are my current swim baits in 6†to 7†lengths. The new rod ran me on sale with shipping a total of ~$46 and the reel was brand new in the box $5 with shipping. Talk about making a budget work!!! The reel was mismarked as “Buy†on eBay instead of “Start Bidding†and since I’ve bought from this group before they said I jumped on a great deal!!

Needless to say I’m hooked on SWIMBAIT fishing and looking forward to upgrading, but I’ve also hooked my 8.9 lb. PB and several other nice fish on this set up which seems to handle everything well!!

post-3156-14252990261556_thumb.jpg

Powell Max Frog Rod 735MHEF

That is a great rod and its versatility is beyond compare. I've thrown frogs, big spinner/chatter baits, buzzjets, 6-inch Basstrix, and flipped with it. If there is ever a trip that I bring a "non" swimbait setup with me, it's the 735 matched with a Curado 200E and 50# braid. I would recommend this rod to anybody.

the reel was brand new in the box $5 with shipping.

$5 for a lews?!! dude! thats not even a deal! thats a straight steal! :o :o :o

I was leery at first until I saw who was selling it and had bought stuff from Sportsmans Outfitters before. Yeah it’s a steal and I like it for my 1st setup and may continue using it for the smaller/lighter stuff even once I upgrade!!

Powell Max Frog Rod 735MHEF

That is a great rod and its versatility is beyond compare. I've thrown frogs, big spinner/chatter baits, buzzjets, 6-inch Basstrix, and flipped with it. If there is ever a trip that I bring a "non" swimbait setup with me, it's the 735 matched with a Curado 200E and 50# braid. I would recommend this rod to anybody.

I feel the same about Dobyns rods. If I ever get a non-swimbait rod again, it will most certainly be a Dobyns. His DX rods are insane!

Over the years I've had and fished swimbaits on-

Okuma 7'11 XH

Okuma 7'11 H

Okuma 7'6'' mh

Custom NFC 8' 6 power

Custom NFC 8' 6 power

Dobyns 867

Calcutta 400 TE, Calcutta B, Curado 300e, Curado 200e, Bantam Chronarch, Bantam Curado, Citica D, Cardiff 300.

Currently I'm between rods but still using a Custom NFC 8'

8e75241f-bb30-40a1-908c-74a389558a87_zps84c9e37b.jpg?t=1384750408

Here's the other one- same blank very slight dirrences in accent thread :lol:

03849ff9-a115-4b09-bd48-413ff8f46122_zps8d1657f1.jpg?t=1384750731

I have ANOTHER, exact same rod, same grip, etc..... Headed my way Monday, will post pics when it arrives :D .

I also still use an Okuma XH a lot but you guys know what those look like so I wont bore you.