Reel Deal Tuning

evans_usmc69

This review is for the services from Jesse of Reel Deal Tuning. You can contact him at reeldealtuning@gmail.com.

After getting a Calcutta 401TE tuned by Geoff of Animal House, I really wanted to get the rest of my reels done as well. Geoff has decided to take a break but the work he did on my 401TE was great and I do appreciate the work he did. Thanks again Geoff :D My friend, Dickbait Yates, mentioned Jesse of Reel Deal Tuning. Hit Jesse up and wow, the man definitely knows his stuff. I have sent two reels to him(and 3 more will be sent out soon!), here they are:

Curado 301

I've had this reel for about a year in a half to two years. I never cleaned it, never oiled, no maintenance whatsoever.... :oops: Then it started making a funny noise, drag seized on it, just nothing but problems(imagine that huh?). Sent it to Jesse straight from my rod and when he posted this pic...realized it was in a lot worse shape than what I thought :lol:

1_zps2467eb70.jpeg

.....What can I say? :lol::lol: Yep, I think it was a tad dirty!! Jesse had no problems with it and got it cleaned up good. Here are some pics that Jesse got while cleaning the main gear in the Curado.

2_zpsd24b900e.jpeg

3_zps89ebd22d.jpeg

4_zps59bcd964.jpeg

5_zpsf5bdee33.jpeg

And here's the finished product! Feels, looks, and handles like a completely new reel! I would of honestly thought he swapped me a new reel for mine if not for the scratches you can barely see underneath the light. The reel casts further with ease and buttery smooth is an understatement! I put 30lb CXX on it because I wanted to take it out and throw a deps 250 on it...all I can say is it handles much better than any other Curado 301 I have used with CXX 30lb test. Last time I tried it, I took the line off pretty fast because it didn't cast very far and just felt weird with the bigger line(I'm usually using 25 CXX on my Curado 301s). Paired it up on my LDC Production H and it casted the Deps 250 great! I can honestly seeing myself putting the curado 301 on my new Parabolic XH that I'm getting from Ben and making it my dedicated Deps 250 rod! However....put on a HPH Glide that's half the weight and got a major rats nest on 2nd cast...COMPLETELY MY FAULT! Make sure that when you get a reel supertuned, adjust the brakes and tension knob and make sure you can handle it before trying to make a crazy long cast...if not, you're gonna be cutting line like me :lol:

after_zps456f39e2.jpeg

finished_zpsb7f1642a.jpeg

Calcutta 401 TE

Got this reel supertuned by Geoff last year and it has been my favorite reel since! It casts further with a lot less effort than my other 2 401TEs. However, it had started to make a slight noise and just wasn't doing the job like it was when Geoff first returned it. I decided I would take it apart to grease and oil it up.....bad decision! Totally overwhelmed by all the parts and even with Jesse's tech support, couldn't even come close to figuring this over engineered reel out :lol: So this is what Jesse was sent in the mail :lol:

bagged_zpsbab5d159.jpeg

I'm pretty sure Jesse doesn't recommend you sending your reels like this....but, contact him, he might not have a problem fixing it as long as you have all the parts... :lol: Jesse took it in stride though and fixed up the reel and re oiled and greased it for me. Here are some pics he took:

3_zpsa14af3df.jpeg

1_zps09385cc3.jpeg

2_zps69f330d1.jpeg

Main Gear

4_zps670387e0.jpeg

5_zps989ddbae.jpeg

6_zps5336d1b5.jpeg

And he sent it back in one piece!!! So happy to have my favorite reel back! I think Jesse fell in love with it as well. It's just as smooth if not smoother than the day I got it back from Geoff and it's back to being my main work horse again :D

boxed_zpsa22324c5.jpeg

Closing

I told Jesse that I would be doing a review on his services because of how impressed I was with his services and had him write up a description of his services and charges. Here is what he sent me:

Cleaning is pretty thorough. I basically break down the entire reel and clean the bearings, gear, pinion, drag washers and discs, frame and side plates. Then relube with grease, frame oil, and spool oil. The drag disc get a lite coat of their own grease. Frame gets waxed and everything reassembled and tested. That is $20 plus shipping (usually $7) and plus parts if needed (usually don't need any)

Super tuning is a little more detailed in what's done it includes everything in a cleaning and when taken apart I polish the gear and pinion. Polishing drag washers. Polish and grind the axle ends any friction other points. Then upgrading the spool bearings to Boca Ceramics which are flushed and relived and upgrading the drag to Carbontex. A Super Tune cost $50 plus parts ($30-45 for bearings and $15 for drags) plus any other parts if needed and shipping is on me as a thank you. So generally $95 -$110 total when all said and done per reel, I cover shipping as a thank you.

Turn around time for a cleaning is generally a week. If you get it to me by Monday I will have it in the mail before the week is done. That's barring any parts aren't needed. The Super Tune takes about two weeks depending on parts (boca and smooth drag take up to a week just ship at times) and as soon as it's done and tested it's back in the mail. If you prepay for parts, I can get them ordered in advance and have them here waiting to go for whenever you ship your reel.

Thanks,

Jesse

As I've said, I am very impressed with Jesse's work and him going above and beyond to help me out. He tried to walk me through oiling and greasing the 401TE, even sent me schematics etc...I'm just not a reel guy I guess :lol: But I do know where my reels will be sent when they need a good lube and clean up. If you need any work done, parts, supertuned, etc, just him up at reeldealtuning@gmail.com. He definitely knows his reels and if he can't help you out, I'm sure he can point you in the right direction. For a guy like me who doesn't know his way around a reel, Jesse is invaluable to keep me casting these big baits. Thanks again Jesse :D

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for review and I'll keep him in mind since I'm not a reel guy also. In fact the time I tried to work on a reel it went back together!! Just didn't seem to work the same, LOL!! Had a local guy that was recommend by our Outdoor Pro Shop fix it and did a super job, but he's went MIA last time I tried to get a hold of him. Thanks again for the review and contact info!!

Thanks for the write up... I thought I was on a wait list for Animal after you sold me on his services so I haven't researched anything else. I got lots of work to be done and the attention to detail shown in this thread is pretty impressive. Man you are always putting me in the know brother, thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad to know that there is another dude on here that from the pictures and Travis's write up, does a great job cleaning and tuning reels. I was kind of bummed when I heard that Geoff wasn't going to be cleaning/tuning reels anymore. I guess I know who I will be sending reels to! :)