Reel Deal Tuning

evans_usmc69

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does super tuning exactly pertain to?

Super tuning is a little more detailed in what's done it includes everything in a cleaning and when taken apart I polish the gear and pinion. Polishing drag washers. Polish and grind the axle ends any friction other points. Then upgrading the spool bearings to Boca Ceramics which are flushed and relived and upgrading the drag to Carbontex. A Super Tune cost $50 plus parts ($30-45 for bearings and $15 for drags) plus any other parts if needed and shipping is on me as a thank you. So generally $95 -$110 total when all said and done per reel, I cover shipping as a thank you. (Quote from original post)

Jesse did some drag work on a couple of reels for me and did a great job :!: Very happy with what he did and was great at communicating :!: Thanks for this orginal review so I found someone that I can keep sending my reels too when they need work/tune ups :!::D

• 2 weeks later...

I know where I will be sending off my reels next time they need a cleaning. I broke down one of my quantum smoke reels once, maintenanced it and put it back together. It didn't last long after that. My anti-reverse bearing went out and quantum wont just sell you the bearing they sell the whole side piece. Luckily it was under warranty and covered. Needless to say though I don't like pulling my reels apart anymore. Great write up Travis, I will definitely be giving him a call when my Lexa needs some cleaning.

• 1 month later...

Well....finally got my 401TE back from Jesse, no fault of his for taking this long either. Apparently this reel(one which I thought would be a quick in and out) was used in the salt and not cleaned, causing some craziness inside of it. Add to the fact the spool had been changed with a 400B and well, it was a mess. I had problems with the spool release button going down to cast and Jesse found out pretty fast why, it was corroded and pitting. Jesse used his magic and saved this reel though, can't thank him enough! Hopefully he can post up in detail what he had to do, but these are the pics he sent me. Thanks again Jesse, much appreciated brother :D:D

Thanks Travis. This reel was an entire different set of challenges and definitely one of the most fun/frustrating/rewarding reels I've messed with. I was asked to elaborate on what went on. So Travis was complaining of the reel sticking when pushing the thumb bar down. I think ok no biggie just probably a reel that needs cleaning and grease, worst case maybe something is slightly bent. Break it down clean it, check it out and think man this thing was rode hard in the salt and put away wet literally. Grease it and reassemble. Better but still the thumb bar has this issue sticking issue. It was like it needed an extra push to disengage. Maybe this is how it has to be? So I'm laying in bed like 1am thinking about this reel (sick right) and all of a sudden it hits me... The corrosion pitting! Tear the reel apart and watch and feel and if you look at the very last picture I'm pointing to the problem with a screwdriver. The kick back mechanism hits perfectly in that pit, holds it for a split second and then allows it to travel down to where it needs to be. I mean it could not have happen in a worst spot. So going up from that pic you can see progress of me by hand flat barring it out. It's such a small area to work in I couldn't get many tools in there. Actually took quite a few days to get it down to where it was a smooth action. If you look at the other pics you can see more corrosion around the drive shaft support bearing. Corrosion around the level wind support. The reel was hurt. Not to mention the handle and a few other random parts were stolen and replaced. Like the handle. Travis was saying something never seemed right about the reel. Quick bearing and bushing replacement and now this reel is screaming. I did manage a wicked nice backlash one of my first casts with it because it caught me off guard how fast it was spinning. I mentioned to him if he's not happy with it I will buy it lol. If something like this was sent to Shimano they'd tell you it needs a new frame. That was what we were trying to avoid and successfully did.

Thanks for the awesome write up Travis, not just for this one but all you do. They are as in depth as anyone could ever hope and should be a model for anyone thinking of writing their own!

Well....finally got my 401TE back ... the spool had been changed with a 400B

so a calcutta 400B spool was swapped into a TE...how did that happen?

Jesse originally thought that but after looking at the two, he said they're pretty much the same bushing. My bad :oops:

Well....finally got my 401TE back ... the spool had been changed with a 400B

so a calcutta 400B spool was swapped into a TE...how did that happen?

It was my misinformation from an article I read. Completely my fault

Just wanted to say that I took the Calcutta 401TE out that I recently got back from Jesse and it performed just as good as my other tuned 401TE yesterday. I am unable to feel any difference in the thumb bar between the two now. The thumb bar had always been a little funky from the start, but it just kept getting worse and worse until I sent it to Jesse when I was having to almost use two thumbs to push it down :lol: Was really worried the reel would turn into a major fix after hearing the news, but it's in better shape than ever now. Thanks again Jesse, next up: Conquest 401 headed your way 8-)