LDC XXH 8'6"

Nico

This is a best rod I've ever used for very large swimbaits, but it's extreme stiffness can be a liability if you are not careful.

As I understand it, this rod comes in both 8' and 8'6" versions. I'm happy with the 8'6". I think it allows slightly longer casts when lobbing very heavy lures. I had mine made with a hypalon (sp?) handle and no foregrip. No complaints there. The handle is quite comfortable. It came with spiral wrapped guides. I was frankly disappointed when I saw this coming out of the package, but after the first trip I changed my mind. I'm not sure if it's a huge improvement over the normal wrap, but the spiral wrap fishes very well and I'm no longer a spiral wrap hater.

For reference, I've been fishing this rod exclusively with a Calcutta 400TE and 30 pound Big Game.

I've had the rod for about five months now and have tested it with a handful of different baits. It is the first swimbait rod I've owned (and I've owned lots of swimbait rods in 10+ yrs) which really feels built for 8-10 ounce baits in mind. It casts heavy lures such as the 10 inch freestyle beautifully, allowing you to throw your whole weight behind a long overhand cast then turn around and do a wrist cast under a tree. That's just not possible with a 10 ounce bait on other rods.

The only problems I've run into so far is when landing fish. This rod really doesn't bend much, and you loose that extra bit of cushioning other rods provide when the fish does a violent headshake. First fish I hooked on it I lost at the side of the boat. An hour later I got just crushed with about 40 feet of line out and just ripped the bait out of its mouth on the hookset. I finally got a small one in, but it took a few tries.

A while later I tried taking it striper fishing throwing some big pencil poppers. It's a *great* rod for handling the really big poppers. Love it. But first 20+ lb striper came half way to the boat, woke up, instantly straightened out a heavy wire split ring, and swam away.

Anyway, I hope this review has been helpful. It's a really fun rod to fish with and will open up some possibilities as far as which lures you can throw. Just don't be an idiot like me, and loosen your drag first :-)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice review Nico. As always. I look forward to hearing your opinion on all things swimbait. This review peaked my interest because I too own an LDC XXH however mine is an 8'. I received my rod about 5 months ago. And I like you thought the spiral wrap was interesting. But that quickly went away. I was taken aback however at the attention to detail that was put into my rod. I have owned a few swimbait rods myself and thought I had seen everything out there. But just by holding this rod I knew I had something that was completely different.

Since I've owned the rod I've caught roughly 15 fish on it, my biggest being an 8lber. I had a different experience than Nico in that I have actually had an easier time hooking and landing fish. It could be that we were fishing completely different baits, different landing situations...who knows. But I blasted that 8lber in with ease.

I love the rod & customer service so much I've ordered my next rod..the XH!!! Can't wait to get her..

These are all just my opinions by the way, not meaning to sway one way or the other.

Jared

Thanks for the review Nico.

I also have an LDC XXH. This rod is by far one of my favorites. I have caught around 20 fish on mine since I got it biggest being right about 7.

I love this rod for the big stuff. Especially the Armageddon and 10" FS. I have not lost all that many fish on mine once they are hooked up, but I can see how this rod can rip a bait through the bass's mouth. It is extremely powerful.

My only word of advice about the rod is not to use it for hudds. It might just be my hook-setting technique, but its the only bait that I have consistently lost fish on with this rod. I think its just a little bit too powerful for this bait. The XH is the perfect hudd rod though. Again, it might just be my hook-set. (I have more of a snapping hook-set rather then sweeping.)

All and all, it has to be my favorite rod. It is simply a workhorse! The attention to detail is great, and overall it is a lightweight rod. Everything Ben uses to make these things is high quality.

Thanks,

Rocky

Well hell, That doesn't leave much left to say haha! I'm new in the LDC world but I really like them a lot. power, Power , POWER, I like this. This is my 1st rod over 8' ever. It's pretty damn Sweeeeeet :D I'm getting some really long casts with the 8'6" XXH. We will talk more later about it. I'm going to try the hudd with it Rocky. I will let you know how that goes :D

I'll jump in too;

I've had my LDC XX 8'6" for about 3 weeks now and so far so good. I love the extra 6" for long casts and i think the extra length gives it a softer tip, at least in my opinion. I have landed about 10 fish with that rod and the biggest bieng a 9lber, without any problems, again this is my experiance and opinion only. And i hope Nico doesn't mind us jumping in on his review.

The rod has performed top notch for baits in the 6oz class and i no will handle baits that are up to 10oz.

Can't wait to start putting some some bigger fish on it so i can continue to review this rod.

And one more thing, the 8'6" is the lightest swimbait rod i own from the real seat to the tip. And i own Powells and Lommis's

Thanks for the additional reviews. I really, really like this rod and I don't think my experience conflicts with anything said so far.

I've never paid a whole lot of attention to my drag when swimbait fishing. I just lock it down. If you are this kind of person, you probably *will* lose more fish with a rod like the LDC XXH, or any other rod which doesn't bend.

For the record, locking your drag down is a terrible idea. There's no bass alive that can break 25lb in open water, but other stuff tends to fail, most often the fish's mouth. It's a bad habit, which hasn't hurt me (much) so far. Just lucky I guess...

Ill jump in too. Ive had my ldc xxh for about 5 months now. I personally like it for the bigger hardbaits such as the OG wake. I lose a lot of fish on that bait and feel the LDC helps the hook up %. One thing about the rod is its a lot more sensitive than I would expect being so big, Ive had some fish push the baits at me, and I felt it happen and was able to hook up.

I have the 8'6", one thing I will never do again is overhand cast. I Cast fairly hard overhand, but with the LDC I get plenty of distance with the lob. The overhead cast has cost me, I casted off the Born Again(floating luckily) and a 10" freestyle now on vacation

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
Finding new reasons to love this rod almost every month :-)

Talk to me Nico! I'm really digging mine too. I even hit a few on a Hudd with this rod and Liked it too. I'm also using 30# P-line PF with it too. And like I said before the 10" FS is a beast of a bait and I'm getting it way out there with this rod :D

I never have felt under power that's for sure. Even played with a Curado 300 E on it and was fun when using the Hudd, still with 30# PF.

I traded an 8'H for an 8'6"XXH and it was the best trade ive ever made. I love throwing my BA's on them. Ive never gotten tired from throwing either with this rod. Its not like other rods where i will have a significant amount of flex when the rod is loading up to throw the bait. That extra 6" does make a difference, there is no doubt.

• 2 weeks later...
I traded an 8'H for an 8'6"XXH and it was the best trade ive ever made. I love throwing my BA's on them. Ive never gotten tired from throwing either with this rod. Its not like other rods where i will have a significant amount of flex when the rod is loading up to throw the bait. That extra 6" does make a difference, there is no doubt.

Question, do you use the 8'6" mostly from a boat, or from shore?

I'm a little skeptical if my next LDC rod should be a 8' or 8'6" only because 70% of my fishing is from the shoreline.

Question, do you use the 8'6" mostly from a boat, or from shore?

I'm a little skeptical if my next LDC rod should be a 8' or 8'6" only because 70% of my fishing is from the shoreline.

Most of the area i fish is flat so to answer your question, its like 50/50. Sometimes you just get that feeling or whatever with a bait or rod and it just feels right and you cant describe it, the 8'6" XXH does that to me. Im not sure what it is, but it justs feels a little better then the 8'. if you plan on throwing anything over 8" you cant go wrong with this rod. I wish i wasnt at a loss of words and i could be more of a help but the cat just has my tounge on this one!