LDC XXH 8'6"

Nico

I got a chance to test out this rod yesterday. I have been looking for the perfect rod to toss my big top waters.

This rod seems like the perfect fit for walking the dog with big baits and it casts them a mile

Grizz go for the 8'6" for shore fishing the extra length is always helpful

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

I got my 8'6" XXH this week and tested it last night. For as big as it is, it's super light weight and has tons of power.

I purchased this rod specifically for big walk the dog baits. It cast them Very well but where it shines is walking the dog on a long cast. My others big bait rod is a custom calstar gfx800m and while it will throw the biggest baits you can find, it struggles to walk the dog when the baits out 100 yards. I would have to work my tail off and have devolved some wrist and shoulder issues due to it. The xxh walks the baits with little effort even when they are way out. I fished it last night without the wrist and shouldr issues flaring up

I use to wrap my own rods but have trade that chore in for making lures. But I know what it takes to make a rod from balance to cosmetics and this rod is tops on both.

I'll be posting more in The future when I really get used to this beast.

Mike

• 10 months later...
I got my 8'6" XXH this week and tested it last night. For as big as it is, it's super light weight and has tons of power.

I purchased this rod specifically for big walk the dog baits. It cast them Very well but where it shines is walking the dog on a long cast. My others big bait rod is a custom calstar gfx800m and while it will throw the biggest baits you can find, it struggles to walk the dog when the baits out 100 yards. I would have to work my tail off and have devolved some wrist and shoulder issues due to it. The xxh walks the baits with little effort even when they are way out. I fished it last night without the wrist and shouldr issues flaring up

I use to wrap my own rods but have trade that chore in for making lures. But I know what it takes to make a rod from balance to cosmetics and this rod is tops on both.

I'll be posting more in The future when I really get used to this beast.

Mike

Ok I have had this rod for about a year now so I am going to add to my review. I was having some serious issues with my wrist and fingers going numb before I purchased this rod and was beginning to think I might have to scale down the size of baits I like to throw and may even have to take a break from my favorite style of fishing (Walking the Dog). Well Since I got the LDC XXH, my wrist problems are gone!!!! No more numb fingers after walking the dog with 10" baits for 4 hours or more. Amazingly, I haven't had any issues with my wrist since I got this rod.

The rod is really light weight but has tons of power. This rod excels with baits like the big 3:16s such as the 10" wake, Armageddon, and 10" OG freestyle as well as all the big topwaters out there. It also throws baits like the 10" triple trout really well. The thing that amazes me the most is that this rod casts the above mentioned baits with authority. You can really lay into them and launch um out there.

When I first got the rod it was pretty stiff and took some getting used to. After fishing it for a year, it seems to have softened up a bit and has some good flex in the tip now. I have been fishing this rod exclusively when I'm pounding the shore and it is by far my favorite stick. I have landed two PB's on it: 27lb striper, and 13.9 Largie as well as many other LMB from 4 to 7 and probably 6 or 7 stripers in the 18 to 23lb range (and many other smaller stripers in the 12-15lb range).

On top of all mentioned above, Ben is a cool down to earth dude who truly understands the big bait game and this is reflected in his rods.

Mike

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Does anyone have experience throwing the XXH vs the XXH Parabolic?

+1 i would also like some input on the xxh vs the xxh parabolic also...how much of a difference is there?? i am considering of buying me in the future! can the parabolic be use on versatile baits such as the hudd (single top hook) and treble hooks baits?

Does anyone have experience throwing the XXH vs the XXH Parabolic?

+1 i would also like some input on the xxh vs the xxh parabolic also...how much of a difference is there?? i am considering of buying me in the future! can the parabolic be use on versatile baits such as the hudd (single top hook) and treble hooks baits?

Same hear

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Ben and Matt Purcell I was able to try both the parabolic and the custom out before ordering my rod. I expected the parabolic to bend down a lot with the heavy baits which I don't like, but was surprised when it didn't. The parabolic also felt a bit heavier than the custom in my hands.

They are both great rods, and I told Ben to surprise me between the custom and parabolic because I know i'll be happy with either. Rod should be here soon, so I'll try and post some pics and an initial review when I get it

I expected the parabolic to bend down a lot with the heavy baits which I don't like, but was surprised when it didn't.

It bends much deeper than the custom (which has the fastest action of his blanks) but does not go into a full 'U' bend. In the XXH, it feels more like a medium action rod to me. It will definitely bend with the right fish on it, though.

Ive been using both for a short time now. I have the gen4 custom blank i guess and it had great tip action. It has also broken in more after countless casts with 10oz+ baits and is even nicer. The parabolic is bad ass and also handles big baits well but imo the custom is the better rod for big big baits. I really like my xxh parabolic for 6-10 and xxh custom for 10oz+, top hook and weedless hudds big wakes and glides. For really large walking baits (topwater) i prefer the action on the parabolic. I dont think one of these can do both jobs. My suggestion would be get one of each hahahha. If i was getting a rod for bigbig baits only id go custom, if i was looking for a good all around hardbait rod for mid size swimmers 6-10ozs id go parabolic. Tophook Softbaits xxh custom all the way. I have had good success on the 8" weedless hudd and the xxh parabolic tho so i guess its a toss up. If i really had to choose id pick the custom, light, casts great, feels balanced, has more tip and give than unwould expect once its broken in

• 7 months later...