Savage Gear 3D Line Thru Trout

ThePhonse

Im pretty impressed with this bait! I have the slow sinking model. The hook is kind of difficult to stick back in the top. It has defent action. Has to be fished a little faster than most baits. It has good action and swimming motion. Not a bad bait for 17 dollars.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the floater and it needs to be fished faster than most baits to get the right action. Still looks awesome though. Have you caught anything on it yet?

Nothin yet. Like you said, it has to be fished a little faster to get the right action out of it. To fast for winter fishing

• 4 weeks later...

Mostly solid hook ups with the 8" Savage Gear 3D Line Thru Trout with only 1 fish lost so far. I think the Hudd works better on a slow retrieve then these thou, but I do like the line thru rigging (especially from shore). Also eye came off on the 1st fish caught using the moderate sink, but paint seems to hold up better so far where I fish anyways then the Hudd. Sink rates on the slow sink is slower IMO then the ROF5 of the Hudd and the moderate sink is more of a ROF7 IMO. I’ve so far only used these from the bank also and can only compare them to the 68 Hudds I have :!:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=15053

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=15245

• 1 month later...

After spending a week on a really tough lake (one of the STE lakes) throwing this bait, I can give my two cents.

1. Right off the bat, I liked how they incorportated the slot for the hook to sink into. Anyone who has fished linethrough baits, knows how big of a pain in the ass it is to keep a hook in one after they start to get worn in.

2. The bait does not swim well at a super slow speed, but there is a way to get it to swim fairly slow. As soon as you start your retrieve, give it a couple of twitches to get it started then you can slow it down to an acceptable pace. That being said, this bait wasn't meant to be fished slow. It was designed to be fished in the same place that you would fish a soft tool, or triple trout.

3. The only sink rate that you need to buy if you want a slow sink is a floater. Not only does the floater look great dead sticked, but it can be fished on the surface or just below and will actually swim at a slower speed than the slow sink will. Where it really shines though, is that it is easily nail weighted to become an XSS suspender that swims great at slower speeds and glides out on the pause.

All of these things are great, but for the fish that I was chasing the bait did not work well. These are very very picky fish, and if everything isn't perfect they are not going to bite. They all wanted to come take a look at it, and some even wanted to half ass take a swipe at it... but none of them would fully commit. My theory is that it is because the bait does not push enough water at slower speeds, but I have yet to be able to fish a lake where the fish want it fast.

Is the bait worth the money? I would say so. At the very least, it is a blast to fish and gets a lot of looks. So many looks, that we actually had fish following a deps turn around to go look at the savage gear.

Don't get too excited on that last statement there bud.... :lol:

One does not need to hate on the Deps because PF blows dogs. :twisted:

I will agree that the bait did get looks from the fish we were on and I can see it being very effective fished quickly over emerging grass/weeds as we head on into warmer weather. I'll be more pumped when they come out with a bottom hook model as well.

haha, why you gotta bring that up? Maybe travis just sucks at fishing a deps and that's why the fish wanted to check out the savage. :lol::lol::lol:

haha, why you gotta bring that up? Maybe travis just sucks at fishing a deps and that's why the fish wanted to check out the savage. :lol::lol::lol:

Yes, I do suck at fishing a Deps, but I am great at not breaking them off so that has to count for something :D

As far as the savage gear 3d trout, bait will definitely get bit. Wish you could fish it slower on top like the old castaic platinum(since none of those swim correctly now), but I'll take what I can get from a soft jointed swimmer :D

I will agree that the bait did get looks from the fish we were on and I can see it being very effective fished quickly over emerging grass/weeds as we head on into warmer weather. I'll be more pumped when they come out with a bottom hook model as well.

Did y'all break off a bunch of fish on PF? I'm probably going to sell my bulk spool of 30 haha