Savage Gear 3D Line Thru Trout

ThePhonse

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question about the fast sink. About how many ft. per sec fall or rof is it? I have the floating and slow sink and am wondering if the sinking is worth getting? Also does it fall horizontally or head first? Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I love the action on these also, but, I've got a problem with a couple of them I was hoping you could help me with. Has anyone had the mesh pull out of the first joint like I had already ? I'm wondering if Hudd Bond, or, other glue would fix the tear ?

Hi guys, I love the action on these also, but, I've got a problem with a couple of them I was hoping you could help me with. Has anyone had the mesh pull out of the first joint like I had already ? I'm wondering if Hudd Bond, or, other glue would fix the tear ?

I haven't had any mesh pull out, but I have gotten small tears and Mend-It worked good on it, so I would assume Hudd Bond would work as well :!:

• 1 month later...

I recently wrote a review for another website. Some of the guys who have posted in this thread were party to the events down south. :lol:

SAVAGE GEAR LINE THRU 8†TROUT

Being a swimbait guy, I’ve adopted the big bait theory into my fishing. Trout shaped baits are a staple of many anglers within the swimbait community as they present an easy, slow moving meal for hungry predator fish. Admittedly, I’ve never been a fan of trout style baits. They have just never produced for me. I’ve spent many hours throwing the Huddleston Deluxe and other realistic trout baits with little to show for it unfortunately.

I saw the Savage Gear trout earlier this year when I traveled south to meet up with some like-minded, swimbait-afflicted folks. The lake we were on is a notoriously difficult lake but also one that had the potential to produce largemouth bass into the teens. A few of the guys in attendance had the floating line-thru. Being as though it was a relatively new and unproven-to-us bait, it took a back seat to more popular baits for the first couple days. The bite was VERY tough and each day fewer fish would reveal themselves to our offerings. On the third day, someone in the group decided to try the Savage from the back of the boat. It consistently pulled fish out into the open where the “proven†baits had revealed nothing.

Once I returned home, I was determined to try the Savage Gear for myself. At the end of April, I purchased a floating line thru trout from Tackle Warehouse to try in my home waters. The first time out after receiving the bait, I tied it on a Low Down Custom Production Heavy rod, 20lb P-Line CXX and a 301 Shimano Cardiff reel. I tossed it alongside the boat to show my partner what it looked like in the water. He’s had about the same luck with trout baits as I had so to say he was less than enthused would be an understatement. I tossed the bait toward a small point and cranked the handle exactly one turn…..WHAM! The bait got blasted on the first cast! The rest of the day, the Savage Gear continued to pull fish out of their hiding spots including one in the 6lb range. My view of the bait changed completely that day. In the last two months of throwing the bait, it has instilled a real sense of confidence with trout shaped baits that I did not possess before.

The Nuts and Bolts

The Savage Gear Line Thru Trout was born from the mind of Mads Grosell. Its base is a 3-D scan of an actual trout, which brings a level of realism necessary to succeed in today’s competitive swimbait market. It is a segmented soft bait with a reinforcing mesh in the joints and a hard internal harness in the forward section. The bait also has a built in hook slot so that the accompanying treble hook rests snugly in the bait. It is currently available at major online retailers in five different colors and three different sink rates at a MSRP of $17.99. Overall, the bait is 8 inches long and, depending on sink rate, weighs between 3oz and 3 2/3oz.

Pros and Cons

As with any bait, there are strong points and areas that may need to be addressed or improved upon. I’m happy to conclude that there are many things this bait does well and only a few things to nit-pick. The first thing that jumps out at you is the very affordable price when compared to the realism of the bait and the cost of other soft plastic trout baits of this size. The plastic used in the bait feels supple in your hand and that helps it produce a very distinct kick on the retrieve that, in my limited experience, really seems to appeal to a fish’s predatory instincts. I have run the bait into cover, cast it into rocks, had pickerel attack it and smacked the side of the boat on a missed hook set. The bait still swims as well as the day I took it out of the package. The thought process on a line thru bait is that when a fish eats the bait, the hook will separate from the bait and be more difficult for the fish to throw the hook. When this sequence occurs as intended, it is a very sound theory.

I only believe a full review is complete with constructive criticism included. Currently, the bait is only offered in a top hook configuration. This is an advantage on a sinking bait so that the treble does not foul hook aquatic vegetation or hang up on structure. I felt the top hook hindered hook ups on the floater as the majority of fish are coming from under the bait to eat. I happen to know that going forward, the Savage Gear trout will be offered with both top and bottom hook capabilities.

I mentioned previously that the line thru system, when it works as intended, is a very proven way of keeping fish from leveraging the bait and throwing the hook. My bait needed some work in this area and it was only after losing two good fish that a viable solution was found. In discussion with some friends, one suggested pinching the barb down on the hook going into the slot. I also took the bait and worked the hook in and out of the slot for about 15 minutes straight, loosening up the material and widening the opening. The hook now releases easily from the bait when a fish eats yet remains in the bait on the cast and retrieve.

If you spend any time around people who throw swimbaits, you’ll eventually hear the “bigger is better†argument. Currently, this bait is only offered in one size. The 8†bait is a happy medium between numbers of fish and getting a big bite. The desire for different sized baits is more of a “want†than a “need†but Savage Gear has listened and intends to introduce both a smaller 6†bait and a larger 12†bait in the future.

Overall Impressions

Savage Gear has created a realistic, reasonably priced fish catching machine with their 8†Line Thru Trout. It is durable and yet still soft enough to produce the desired action in the water. It looks appealing to the fisherman and, more importantly, the fish they pursue. With the introduction of future baits, there should be an offering in their line-up to cover most situations.

^^ how long did that take to type :lol::lol::lol:

Some people really like to write, myself included. I'm pretty damn good at it, too. Seeing as fishing is one of my biggest passions, I could write about it all day, all week, hell, all year. LOL.

my go to soft baits are this bait and the hudd, like almost everyone is saying you have to fish this faster. During the summer months i put my hudds away and break this out when the fish will chase a faster moving bait, awesome action and good hookups. Yes! it catches fish, and a bigger 11 inch model is coming out soon! :o;)

• 1 month later...

I have the floating version that I converted to a slow sink using 2 Vike tungsten nail weights in 1/16. One in the front section and one in the middle section in the belly. It sinks horizontal and sits upright on the bottom. It's a great bait!

• 4 weeks later...