Rookie Mistakes

TmBtc12

Went fishing yesterday and was lucky enough to be there the same day trout were being planted and to be the only bass fisherman. I was throwing a savage gear line through when I got hammered.....only to have my reel pop out of the reel seat on the hook set....no fish :oops: I know that I tightened the reel when I put it on but maybe the force of casting large baits caused it to loosen up just enough to pop off? I guess I need to remember to check my reel seat from time to time.

I thought it would be funny to start a thread for all of us to share some rookie mistakes so we can have a laugh and to help avoid them in the future.

That sucks! :lol:

Last year I was throwing the punker for the first time and got smacked by a smaller fish. Started reeling it in and all of a sudden I was reeling but line wasnt coming in. The fish came undone and after I got looking realized that all of the screws were coming right out of the sideplate on my Abu 6600. I check them now :lol:

had the same thing happen with a reel seat with me...

throwing an 8" hudd, i cast and my reel came out of the seat and the hudd went into a tree and somehow tied itself around a thick branch...line snapped and the hudd fell straight into the water :(

Smacked my brother in the chest with an 8" Hudd.

Got my rental boat stuck in a mess of branches at Diamond Valley trying to retrieve a Punker. Had to hop out the damn boat to push it off the bank and out the barrier of branches. Never got the punker back and chewed up the blades lol.

On sunday I had a giant bass follow my 250 to the boat and literally suck in the entire bait into her mouth. Because I was watching the entire thing instead of feeling a hit I set the hook before the bass closed her mouth and I yanked the bait right out of her mouth. While I was standing there swearing at the world, a 3 lber came over and hit my bait that was just sitting in the water. I was so bitter about missing a giant bass I didn't even set the hook I just watched it. I was fishing with another SU member that witnessed the whole thing, it was a complete ish show...

When I first started throwing swimbaits, I didn't even have a swimbait rod and I was using my mh jig rod with a Cardiff 300 spoiled with 15lb test and I bought a spro 8" and first night chucking it, first cast I chucked it off and swore for about an hour straight haha. Learned to get the right rod for big baits from then on then!

Back when the Huddleston first came out I made my first ever cast with it at lake Castias, (It was expensive back then and hard to get like a deps 250 lol,) I was afraid to lose it. So my first cast ROF16 I throw it near some trees, feel the tree... Got free... Feel the tree.. Got it free agian, slow roll *tick* a half hearted hook set because I didn't want to lose it and this "tree" starts pulling back, get the fish near the boat and the fish jumps and I lose it. 13+lb bass easy! Made a 11lber I caught a few days after look like a Dink :lol: anyway that fish was a real confidence booster, 1st cast ever with a hudd and get a double digit to bite!? I searched everywhere and must of bought at least 10 Hudds after that.

Around when the triple trout first came out I got snagged on a tree, I pulled it free, reeled it up to the boat and the triple trout falls off the snap at the boat LMAO !

Very funny thread!

I had a guy in my boat break 2 rods and kick 2 over on the same day, oh yea he also fell in when he thought it would be wise to have one foot on the deck and one on the shore to get his bait out of a bush. It was a slow motion disaster.

I have seen:

A foul bait on the cast rip the rod out of a guy's hands.

Multiple reels pop off and even one go in the water.

Rods snap in half on the cast.

Catch and cast spare rods in the water.

My classic was going under a bridge, that I had been under 100s of times, at a pretty good clip on the troller and we came to a jolting stop. I looked back at my buddy in bewilderment and all he said was "I guess your new boat is wider than the old one" Yeah....brand new boat with new matching scrapes down both sides. We had to get out of the boat to float it off of the pilings.

I was fishing one summer catching big spots and hybrids and they were blowing up everywhere. I caught a couple and decided I needed to retie after I tied my bait checked the knot and clipped the tag end I threw the pliers over the side of the boat instead of my bait.

I was fishing one summer catching big spots and hybrids and they were blowing up everywhere. I caught a couple and decided I needed to retie after I tied my bait checked the knot and clipped the tag end I threw the pliers over the side of the boat instead of my bait.

Haha I've done the same thing. With my good ole pink scissors that none of my friends ever gave me crap for having on the boat :lol: My buddy laughed the whole way watching them bright pink scissors sink to the depths.