Rookie Mistakes

TmBtc12

I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS forget to tighten my drag back up after retying/resetting my pole... and then I always lose the first fish because thats when I realize I didn't tighten my drag back up 9/10 times this happens to me gets me so upset cause I'll be fishing for that ONE bite and then boom I blew it without even realizing it was never gonna come through from the beginning. 

I was fishing a Rago rat on on 17 pound mono , I'm bringing it by an island, fish comes up and eats it , I set and pop everything is gone. I'm standing there cursing and as I turn I head,the fish jumps , trying to shake the bait. I look around and no bait. I continue to fish and awhile later I look out and my Rago is floating towards me. I retrieve it tie it back on and cast it parallel to shore and fish comes up and whacks it, POP! The baits and fish break off again! Luckily the bait flies in the air and lands at my feet at the shore. Now, I'm very careful with my knots and retying , so in mind after the second time.... I knew what it was.... Being a hand painted baits , I looked at the line tie, there was a bit of paint left and it was cutting the line. Rookie mistake.

Ive used big game almost exclusively since i started throwing swimbaits. 20 lb test ive thrown gantarels to 250s to double hudd rigs. Chucking as hard as i can i never have broken off a lure. Sounds alot like jacks knot was weak, knicked, or old line. I also never buy the stuff from walmart i go to my local shop and get spooled.

I agree on the Big Game mono being good line. Haven't had a single swim bait break off with this line, or any other bait. I also use big game for big saltwater gamefish that fight much, much harder than a bass and this line gives me no problems. Always check the knots and cut off line that show signs of abrasion.

When I first started fishing big baits I casted off a deps 250 on braid at clear lake, then ran across the lake in rough water without my rod strapped down and lost that somewhere along the way. I lost a 250 and a loomis/shimano combo in less than an hour.

• 7 months later...

This topic was hilarious. . . My best story came this past week at CL. My dad accidently bombed a vibrating jig into a break wall, and I moved the boat to get it, right in the way of a HUGE sailboat! I was barely able to get out of the way of the boat when we realize the boat went between us and the jig! The guy drove into the marina stripping all 150 yards of my dads new braid and spooling him. After the guy parked we followed his trail until I hooked my dad's braid and he tied it back onto his reel. We then proceeded to follow the braid trail back to the bait. Overall we didn't lose anything, and the braid wasn't even frayed enough to warrant a retie! 10 minutes later we were back in business! 

Last spring during an early morning outing, nature decided to come calling. I promptly beached the boat, hopped off the bow into what I thought was dirt, ended up being mud. Thank god I was in flip flops! After I took care of business I didn't want get back in the boat all muddy, so I pushed off and my buddy threw the main motor in reverse. After we got into a little deeper water, while still sitting on the bow I reached over to throw water on my legs to clean the mud off when all of a sudden, over I go. I managed to grab the side of the boat so I didn't go all the way in but still........come on man!

Edited by pickle

I was fishing off a friend's boat a few months back. I'm a kickboaters so and don't fish on a motorised boat often. The trolling motor broke so we had to manoeuvre with the 90hp in windy conditions.

I had just cast a 6" wakebait out to a likely looking bunch of rocks when the wind changed and we had to move. I clicked my real into neutral and put the rod down to grab something to eat.

Next thing I know is line is flying off my real. I grab the rod, engage the real and set the hook hard.

Needless to say it was the motor chomping my line not a beast chomping my swimbait. I snapped off and had to spend the next 10 minutes cutting 100m of line from the boats prop. No sign of my swimbait either.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still pretty new to Swimbaits and this happened a little over a month ago

I started hearing about big swimbaits on this podcast I've been listening to and finally I decided to research and purchase one for myself

Took off without strapping my Bed cover on my truck down...Wind caught it and slammed on 4 rods-Broke 3

Funny thing was...all 3 appeared to be in good shape eventhough I knew the cover hit them hard

1st one Broke... Dobyns 867 Broke when I set on a frog fish

2nd one Broke... Dobyns 795 Broke while casting a Mattlure Hargill

3rd one Broke... LDC Heavy Broke When a fish hit my slammer

Slow motion painful/Expensive day

post-19318-0-53539500-1507820630_thumb.png

Took off without strapping my Bed cover on my truck down...Wind caught it and slammed on 4 rods-Broke 3

Funny thing was...all 3 appeared to be in good shape eventhough I knew the cover hit them hard

1st one Broke... Dobyns 867 Broke when I set on a frog fish

2nd one Broke... Dobyns 795 Broke while casting a Mattlure Hargill

3rd one Broke... LDC Heavy Broke When a fish hit my slammer

Slow motion painful/Expensive day

Ouch... Bro.. I just got that feeling you get when you get hit in the balls.. I wouldve never made it home that day.. Straight to the bar, and then probably to jail..