Okuma Guide Select Series big bait rod

• 2 months later...

I bought a 7 11 xh when I first got into swimbait fishin. One day I used it to fish a 12 inch worm. Fish grabbed the worm started swimming off, I set the hook and the rod snapped Inhalf. Fished ddnt get hooked, I reeled the bait in to see that the worm was just missing it's tail and the hook was basically still embedded in the worm. So the rod must of snapped just from the hard hook set or the resistance of the worm moving through the water. There wasn't a stratch or weak point on the rod. I returned the rod to tackle warehouse and got my money back and went and bought a gloomis. Ill never buy another okuma, I'd rather have a rod that I don't have to wrry about breakin than a rod that has an amazing warranty that I have to constantly use because it keeps breaking.

• 6 months later...

The 7'11 H is not really all that bad storage-wise. I bring mine in my 2011 Mazda 3 5-dr just fine with no issues. Once you have the rod in person - it really is not as long/large as you initially think.

Great rod so far as my first swimbait rod. No complaints as of yet.

Does anyone have experience with the Telescopic Heavy? Storing a 7' 11" rod seems like quite a chore, but I'm really wondering if the telescopic concept weakens the rod blank or decreases sensitivity of the rod. Thanks!

I'd like to get some input on the Telescopic heavy (only heavy action?) as well. Does anyone have any experience with it? Thanks!

I'd like to get some input on the Telescopic heavy (only heavy action?) as well. Does anyone have any experience with it? Thanks!

I have the Telescopic heavy rod and its a decent rod. All my other SW rods are Dobyns so it doesn't get much use but its perfect for when I'm travelling and dont want to take a 8' rod with me. I was a little disappointed in how little the rod broke down to. I'll try to measure it tonight and let you know the length. Its perfect for 8" hudds and I've thrown up to a deps 250 on it and it handled it pretty good. The rod is stiff enough to get a good hookset if your throwing hudds. As far as sensitivity is fine, not a dobyns or G loomis but its not dead either. Id say its a great starter rod and you can throw a wide range of baits on it for a good price.

I have the Telescopic heavy rod and its a decent rod. All my other SW rods are Dobyns so it doesn't get much use but its perfect for when I'm travelling and dont want to take a 8' rod with me. I was a little disappointed in how little the rod broke down to. I'll try to measure it tonight and let you know the length. Its perfect for 8" hudds and I've thrown up to a deps 250 on it and it handled it pretty good. The rod is stiff enough to get a good hookset if your throwing hudds. As far as sensitivity is fine, not a dobyns or G loomis but its not dead either. Id say its a great starter rod and you can throw a wide range of baits on it for a good price.

I have a 7'11 H and have not thrown my OG Deps 250 on it yet, but it worries me. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the input guys...and hookedup, a measurement would be awesome! I would imagine that the telescopic would collapse to around 30 inches or so (?) , but that's just a guess...Thanks again!

I have a 7'11 H and have not thrown my OG Deps 250 on it yet, but it worries me. Any thoughts?

Its one of those, "it works but it's not ideal". I threw a 250 on it almost all day and it wasn't as scary as you would think but you wont be making super long casts. 

Thanks for the input guys...and hookedup, a measurement would be awesome! I would imagine that the telescopic would collapse to around 30 inches or so (?) , but that's just a guess...Thanks again!

I measured the rod at 6'10" broken down, so it only saves about a foot. The rod I have is super difficult to extend all the way, I dont know if they are all like this or just mine. Half the time I'm using it I think it's an inch or 2 short because I cant get the rod to come out all the way. It doesn't make a noticeable difference in action though, its just more frustrating than anything.  

I measured the rod at 6'10" broken down, so it only saves about a foot. The rod I have is super difficult to extend all the way, I dont know if they are all like this or just mine. Half the time I'm using it I think it's an inch or 2 short because I cant get the rod to come out all the way. It doesn't make a noticeable difference in action though, its just more frustrating than anything.  

Wow. Really? If it only breaks down a foot, it seems like it would make more sense to just purchase a standard rod because of the greater variety of actions/powers/etc. Thanks for the info though!  :-D