RASwimmers ten inch 'Utility Trout'

Top Ramen

RASwimmers Ten Inch Utility Trout

I recently borrowed an RASwimmers ten inch Utility Trout for a couple of weeks so I could try it out and see for myself how it swam and how well it worked in my local lakes. Since this lure has been getting a lot of attention on social media, I thought I’d share some video footage of it swimming so that other forum members could also see it for themselves.

Disclaimer: While I tried to be objective, I have to admit that my immediate thought when I got it was “why does the world need this bait?†At first glance, it didn’t seem to bring anything new to the market that wasn’t already available from the well-established three-piece baits like the Triple Trout, Armageddon, Tool, the BBZ or even the 1-Up.

Description

This is a ten inch resin bait that weighs just under seven ounces. The web site lists the rate of fall as 4 but the bait I tested had a rate of fall of about twice that. It’s a three piece (two hinge) bait with the 3:16-style ‘door hinge’ joints.

Here’s a picture of it compared to an Arm:

post-1174-14253000582299_thumb.jpg

Hardware & Durability

The rings and hooks are Owner. The tail is rubber and can be replaced. One unusual thing about the joints is that the pins are stainless steel, while other joints of this type have carbon rods. I guess time will tell if using steel rods in resin is a good idea.

Colors

The web site lists the standard available colors as dark trout, golden trout, carp and largemouth. The bait tested was in the carp pattern. There are also ‘RBTECK’ [Rich Baldonado] painted baits available at a premium price. Those color choices include three trout versions, a perch, bluegill and a carp.

Price

The ten inch trout in standard colors is $130 while the special ‘RBTEK’ colors are $175 each. So, it’s a little cheaper than an Armageddon, but much more expensive than a 10†Triple Tout.

Action

I wanted to check this out because I really like three-piece baits but on a slow roll, the action is more mechanical than I would like, with the head swinging back and forth in a very pendulum-like manner. It also wobbled and rolled more than I would have liked at slow speeds. On a burn, it acted like it wanted to roll over and swam at an angle. Overall, it doesn’t have the funky swagger of a Triple Trout but seems more ‘mechanical’ than an Armageddon.

On the plus side, it has a nice erratic action when you give it a twitch, shooting out to the side so that it sits perpendicular to the original line of travel.

Here is some video of it in a pool so you can see the action for yourself:

Fish Catching Ability

I only had time to throw this bait a couple times, for a total of just over four hours. I did not get any bites or see any followers over the minimum size limit. This is a tough time of year for big swimbaits here, but it’s unusual for a bait of this size to not get any attention at all. I know some guys are getting bit on them, so if you have been successful with it, feel free to post.

Positives

Nice paint/color options

Realistic looking

Good erratic when jerked/popped

Negatives

‘Mechanical’ swim

Rolls to the side when burned

Wobbles/rolls at slow speeds

Did not get bit (although I may not have thrown it long enough for a fair test)

Summary

My hope was that this would be something like a 1-Up but with more availability and color options but I was not very impressed. I didn’t like the way it swam (except for the way it darts out when you twitch it) and the fact that I couldn’t get any fish to even follow it was frustrating, especially when other baits were getting bit. On the other hand, the guy I borrowed it from is very happy with it (although I don’t think it’s caught fish for him) and I know some people have had success with it, so watch the swim vid and decide for yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the effort you put into this review. I have had mine (8" slow sinker in bass pattern) since they first came out, and I have fished it for almost 8 hours total. No fish either. I prefer my triple trouts as well.

The only thing I would add is that mine tends to rise in the water column very easily. More so than other hard swimbaits I have experience with. It is very difficult for me to keep it at any desired depth. It seems to be built well though.

Wait... so I'm not the only one that thinks this thing is nothing more than a hype monster? Hmmmm

Dave cut the awkward vibe in the swimbait world in half with this one. No one really knew which way to turn. With a brand new bait being $130 its hard to just take a chance on it. Glad someone finally got this out there. Hype...

• 5 months later...

This guy screwed me...I paid over 8 months ago and never received my bait!

I'm a family man and simple can't afford to be screwed over like this...have had multiple emails back and forth over the months with the owner Pete...all lies so far

Lots of people in the social media saying good things bout the owner Pete...

I feel differently...for no other reason than he has BS'ed me multiple times and no bait and no refund...

I challenge him to do the right thing-pay the people back he has screwed over!

It's the right thing to do...

I have been more than patient and understanding here... Feel like a moron for being so nice...

I'm Not the kind of guy to go bad mouthing people...but this is not right!

If someone knows him personally please pass along the message to refund his customers he has not been honest with...

Justin

This guy screwed me...I paid over 8 months ago and never received my bait!

I'm a family man and simple can't afford to be screwed over like this...have had multiple emails back and forth over the months with the owner Pete...all lies so far

Lots of people in the social media saying good things bout the owner Pete...

I feel differently...for no other reason than he has BS'ed me multiple times and no bait and no refund...

I challenge him to do the right thing-pay the people back he has screwed over!

It's the right thing to do...

I have been more than patient and understanding here... Feel like a moron for being so nice...

I'm Not the kind of guy to go bad mouthing people...but this is not right!

If someone knows him personally please pass along the message to refund his customers he has not been honest with...

Justin

I am in the same boat, I wish there was a way to get hold of this guy.. Total scumbag. This needs to be brought to the attention of the swimbait community do not support RaSwimmers in any sort of way the guy will steal from you given half the chance.