My quest for Bass a day on Swimbait for the month of August

Lurejerk

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 31: The last day! Wow this month went by in a hurry. Today started off at 3:00 am really wanted to get out there during the night at some point and finally did. The 12" XL (Beast Mode) Nez Rat was the bait of choice. This thing is truly a beast a little overwhelming in my book and because I just now had equipment to throw this bad boy! Tried it on my other stuff but it made my backside pucker up when casting, with the equipment I had so it never got a shot until now. Well I got to practice throwing this thing, for a good solid THREE HOURS with no takers so I was getting a feel of how it acts in the water by strickly sound alone. It was dark with no wind. Every once in a while there were some shore lights so I could see the wake effect. The sound this beast produces as it wake's through the water is really cool! There is a distinct knock-knock-knock-knock it produces that sets it apart. At 6:02 am Knock-knock-knock pause struck gold first bass of the day and I did it Day 31. I made it Thirty one days with at least 1 Bass a day on a hard swim bait. It could have ended there but I was deterimend to keep going. That one Bass gave me confidence to keep going and I'm glad I did. For the next thirty five minutes it was such a blast... then as fast as it started it was over. I will share more tomorrow and give my top 10 things I've learned during this quest. It has really opened my eye's on a few things.

post-5068-14253003541163_thumb.jpg

post-5068-14253003542993_thumb.jpg

post-5068-14253003548765_thumb.jpg

post-5068-14253003553886_thumb.jpg

post-5068-14253003557585_thumb.jpg

post-5068-14253003562197_thumb.jpg

I must say, this is an amazing challenge well done, ive gone out countless times and have gotten skunked, for you to get at least one in the boat for 31 days in a row is simply shocking, what is also impressive is, not only did you do it, but you did it with a wide variety of multiple baits.... simply awesome, GREAT work man, very motivational

Here are the totals on what was caught:

121 Bass largest went 8.44

6 White Bass

3 Crappie

2 Catfish

1 Striper

1 Carp got it up enough to see wasn't a bass (Foul Hook in Back) it was a DD had a good fight until hook broke

1,000,000 Little white flying somethings that hatched and I caught everyone of them

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No soft baits were used hard swimbaits only:

Shad type sub surface baits dominated as far as fish count went

Wake Baits and Topwater were real close 2nd & 3rd

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What I did learn was:

1) Start big 8"-10" and work your way down until they show you what they want - if needed

2) Never under estimate the smaller 5"-6" swimbait on a tough day

3) Bluegill beds in the summer are major swimbait opprotunities at some point during the day

4) Shad balls fish under them for a big fish bite this was usually later in the evening

5) Suspended fish leaned more towards sub-surface baits than top water

6) Grass beds held good fish in the heat of the day 100+ degree days in 2'-3' of water especially with wind into them

7) Big fish bite in the heat of the day - swimbaits have serious draw power

8) 2 g's invested now... really

9) Sporting a new look with my left arm, after a month of swimbaits (Popeye Arm)

10) The biggest surprise to me was how big is too big for these bad boys!

It was fun and tough at times but I will never forget it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...