Diawa DX Swimbait Rods?

raybass

Well I'm not good at reviews and this is my first dedicated swimbait rod. But I did fish it today, my first casts were in the dark with a 9" slammer. It handles the slammer and 8" Huddleston very well, easily IMHO. I bought an XH rated at 3-10 Oz's. It may very well handle 10 oz baits. It felt like the Hudd and slammer were on the lower end of what it could handle. The rod was light, casts were long and it feels good to me. I don't think for the price you could go wrong buying one. Getting used to the long handle wasn't bad either. At the end of my trip I still felt good, my last time throwing the slammer and Hudd on a flipping stick my shoulder was killing me. Lesson learned.

I think it was fairly sensitive for the price point, I sure knew when I got the bite on the slammer, I could feel the fish which caused me to jerk a little too soon. The blowup didn't help either. I'm running mono on it (20# Big game) so something very subtle may be hard to detect. After throwing for a while I did spool up some 25# Big Game to use. Overall I think its a decent rod. Of course more money will get you better. It'll be hard to beat in the lower price bracket.

Sorry it took me so long but I got out today and conjured up 12 ozs to throw. I didn't have a bait that big so made up a weight that heavy. Turned out a little heavier but good for a test, a little over load to see how it handles it. I didn't try to zing it but lob casts seemed just fine. That's a lot of weight on a pole. Static it did bend it slightly, maybe a third of the way down. I was more worried about the line breaking than the rod. After I lightened the load to 7.5 ozs and wow I could zip one out there. A little over half spool on my Abu Garcia Revo NacL 50 with 25# test big game. I'm really thinking a heavy action would have been good for the baits I'm throwing. Heaviest is a ROF 5 Hudd 8" and it feels a tad stiff for that bait. Keep in mind I have never thrown anything that heavy on a rod. I have thrown weighted corks 3-4 ozs on long rods (13-15FT) for dam fishing but that's about it.

Sorry it took me so long but I got out today and conjured up 12 ozs to throw. I didn't have a bait that big so made up a weight that heavy. Turned out a little heavier but good for a test, a little over load to see how it handles it. I didn't try to zing it but lob casts seemed just fine. That's a lot of weight on a pole. Static it did bend it slightly, maybe a third of the way down. I was more worried about the line breaking than the rod. After I lightened the load to 7.5 ozs and wow I could zip one out there. A little over half spool on my Abu Garcia Revo NacL 50 with 25# test big game. I'm really thinking a heavy action would have been good for the baits I'm throwing. Heaviest is a ROF 5 Hudd 8" and it feels a tad stiff for that bait. Keep in mind I have never thrown anything that heavy on a rod. I have thrown weighted corks 3-4 ozs on long rods (13-15FT) for dam fishing but that's about it.

I'll take the extra heavy off your hands!

• 1 month later...

After using this stick for a while now I'm liking it more. Right now I have a Cardiff 300 on it spooled w/25# Big Game. It is sensitive and has all the power I'll ever need for swimbaits. Unfortunately the fishing has been tough so no reporting on fish fighting yet. Its a great deal on a big bait rod especially for guys like me that are just starting out. Even experienced swimbait guys needing that extra rod might want to check it out. I did pick up a Okuma Citrus 7'11" Heavy for the 9" slammer, my 8" glide baits and Hudd 68's. I spent the morning using it and like it so far. Report coming soon on that one.

looked at getting one, if it can truly handle 10oz baits I'm probably gonna grab one. waiting for more feedback..

Brian got an XH. I'm sure he'd let you try it out to get a feel. It looks pretty good. He threw a castaic hard head with ease on it. Chucked it around like a 6" hudd.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...