battle for the underground question

SWIMBO

it also isn't fair that a bunch of us have jobs and must function in society. and for the record, california is a HUGE state, the biggest fish ever recorded in my county was under 15 lbs yet dottie was about 25 lbs... just to be realistic... our state is massive and there is a huge difference geographically. oh yeah, and no trout in my home lake!

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it really isn't, because those states support better numbers of that sized fish. Their pyramids are shorter and flatter, and fatter overall. Same with Maine and Mass. The biomass is there, but the growing season is short, so you have a significant number of the 5-6 lb footballs, with a few in the 7-9 range, but that's where it ends.

it also isn't fair that a bunch of us have jobs and must function in society. and for the record, california is a HUGE state, the biggest fish ever recorded in my county was under 15 lbs yet dottie was about 25 lbs... just to be realistic... our state is massive and there is a huge difference geographically. oh yeah, and no trout in my home lake!

Idk dude a lot of people have jobs and drive hours for a shot at big fish..it's part of the game

the truth about dottie will come out at some point...

No, it really isn't, because those states support better numbers of that sized fish. Their pyramids are shorter and flatter, and fatter overall. Same with Maine and Mass. The biomass is there, but the growing season is short, so you have a significant number of the 5-6 lb footballs, with a few in the 7-9 range, but that's where it ends.

Volfan if you look at it in terms of year class instead of size it makes perfect sense

I appreciate your input btw man..seriously

No worries - but year class doesn't account for the genetics within that recruitment, or any of the biologic influences (food, water level, etc). If CO could string together a few slightly warmer, wet years, I'd bet you could get real close to a WR SMB out of someplace like P-Lo or Aurora, assuming they could keep the water level consistent for a few years. LMB ain't gonna happen though.

You Pueblo guys are some elitist b!tches...trying to take over the world now eh? :D

No worries - but year class doesn't account for the genetics within that recruitment, or any of the biologic influences (food, water level, etc)

We both know that what makes big bass states big bass states are the growing seasons..even if A guy in Minnesota had his own lake and stocked it with the best forage available the geographical climate will keep the fish from reaching the size of a fish in a more favorable climate..I was just curious if people thought the format was fair ...I never even suggested the % thing

The water level in aurora is very consistent and forage is abundant(I mean look at how many state records have been turned over in the last few years) and the lmb is growing I bet the state record lmb comes out of there soon,pueblo is laughable as far as pueblo b!txhes taking over the world :lol: I was raised in SoCal my man I live in pueblo now and I'm not trying to take over anything I just speak my mind and I'm not afraid to do it that's all ;)

I started thread to see what people think my sr is 11# it's not as bad as other places

Another factor is the northern strain vs florida strain. Correct me if Im wrong, but I believe the northern strain do not have the genetics to grow as large, EVEN IF they are growing in a warmer climate. But I dont know that for a fact. There is truth to both sides here. Yes, Maine/Mass do have a lot of 5-6lb fish. POSSIBLY more than say, Cali. However, as far as the tournament goes(and I'm assuming the SU tourney is single biggest fish overall) it doesnt really matter if we catch a hundred 5lb fish. Because that will always lose to the small handful of 7lb fish caught elsewhere. Very interesting thoughts, guys.

Best way to do it is northern division and a southern division. Go by length of fish instead of weight. But that makes it all more complicated and sometimes simplicity just works. I never have liked the ratio to state record because some states have one freak bass for a record and reality is nobody ever really comes close on a regular basis.

Best way to do it is northern division and a southern division. Go by length of fish instead of weight. But that makes it all more complicated and sometimes simplicity just works. I never have liked the ratio to state record because some states have one freak bass for a record and reality is nobody ever really comes close on a regular basis.

That's a cool idea Randall

Good idea but now you're sucking the joy right out of a light-hearted competition. Is that what you want to do, Ninja, crush all happiness? And then there's the whole East vs West and Biggie vs Tupac and Coke vs Pepsi debate, so in reality, does anyone really win? And what about the children?