Be cautious of sellers wanting you to pay via GIFT

waynem

We've gotten quite a few new members on SU and its not a bad idea to mention again that 99% of the people on Back Market are good guys but there are always a few just looking to rip someone off. Before you spend a lot of money, check the feedback section above. If you are paying via Paypal remember that you avoid fees by paying by gift, but you lose all protection. The 4% fee they charge for "goods and services" is pretty cheap insurance if you have any doubt about the seller. If someone insists that they will ONLY sell via gift you should alert everyone else on SU. Good sellers will often give you the choice of gift or adding the fee to the price. Avoid anyone insisting on gift only.

SU_ART-08.png

The whole pricing thing with add 4% for paypal is just goofy to me. Figure it in your price and be done with it.

Its called the cost of doing business. You don't have to go get a money order and then wait to send it or receive it.

Most times if someone will come off their asking price, I always send em the money for shipping if they are standup about getting the goods in the mail when they say they will.

The whole pricing thing with add 4% for paypal is just goofy to me. Figure it in your price and be done with it.

Its called the cost of doing business. You don't have to go get a money order and then wait to send it or receive it.

Most times if someone will come off their asking price, I always send em the money for shipping if they are standup about getting the goods in the mail when they say they will.

I completely agree with this.  To many times, this site particular, I'll be making a payment through pay-pal and the seller comes back to me and says he needs additional money for the pay-pal fees and / or shipping fees.  Have that all rolled in to your asking price in the beginning.  It makes transactions go so much smoother.

Edited by Tuna Meltdown

I do gift and I've been on this site for a long time, and have good reviews on buying and selling baits. So if you have a problem with that, just don't deal with me... Simple as that... Don't be so quick to judge a book by its cover..

Edited by Darth Baiter

My intention was not to say you should never buy anything here as a gift or that all sellers mentioning gift are bad. I've bought here both ways myself. Last week Rich Vang was selling a billed Hardgill and I chose to use the gift route since he is a respected member here with great feedback. I was speaking more about folks that are very short-time members without much history or any feedback who are selling high dollar baits. If you want to take the gift route under those circumstances so be it. I'm just pointing out the potential pitfalls to those who are relatively new SU members. As I said above, the first thing to do is check the Feedback section and make an informed choice.

• 2 weeks later...

If you can't afford to pay the PayPal fees, you should reconsider purchasing expensive swimbaits. It's cheap insurance. Paying the fees on a deps ripoff saved me $220 last year.

I agree 100%

I do pay gift somtimes but only with guys with good rep then I add them so pretty much all my friends list are good guys that had excellent customer service and Id do Business with them anytime.

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...