Mattlures Rat (prototype) Review

waynem

I've had a chance to fish a prototype Matt Rat for a while so I thought I would post a review. Back on August 9th JNORT1954 started a thread on the regular SU underground forum titled "the Matt Rat". You should check that thread out for additional pictures and commentary. Also Matt Servant will hopefully add any of his comments to this review including any changes he will incorporate into the final version.

I'll add a bunch of photos at the end of this review that will apply to the text.

BASICS:

The rat has a 2 piece pinned body that is 6" long. The tail adds another 5 1/2 inches. I didn't have a precise scale but the bait is pretty much the same on a tip bar as the Deps 175 so lets call it 3 OZ. I included a photo of it with other well-known baits (Deps 175 & 250, 9" Slammer, MW & Rago rats) so you can judge the comparative size. It is not huge but the overall appearance is not small either. Hooks are ST_41s with swiveling hangers.

The tail looks like it was molded from a real rat's tail- I suspect Matt went on an Urban hunting expedition and molded it from the real thing. The body is quite buoyant. About 10% is painted - the white & pink parts. The other 90% is not painted but rather is a swirled pattern of browns & greys which produces a very natal look and also eliminates hook rash. There is a large rounded lip that allows for either surface waking or, with a faster retrieve, it can run about 3 or 3 1/2 feet deep on 25# mono.

The joint is not the usual type of cut V as you find with many baits such as Slammers. It is a much more open joint. So you do not get the noise of the front and back halves banging into each other. On the other hand, the open joint allows the rear end to have a free swinging action that Shikira would be proud of. The bait is not noisy but does move some serious amount of water.

APPLICATION:

I have probably caught 30 -35 fish on the bait. The two biggest were 5-12 and 5-13 which are decent fish in Massachusetts. The average size caught overall is 3 - 3.5# with a couple as small as a pound. I believe the bait has enough size to attract the biggest bass around here as well.

I primarily use it around shorelines, wood, lily pads, and places that you might expect to see baby muskrats or other rodents. I have some slow-moving streams nearby and the bait is perfect for that type of environment. I do like the fact that i can surface wake the bait or crank it down. Both have worked for me and I don't need to change baits when I come to different situations. As mentioned earlier, this is not a real noisy rat. It would not be the choice when you need to make a HUGE commotion but it works great in most of the situations I fish. It is realistic looking so that fish that may miss it on the first swipe can often be convinced to have another go at it. The hooks are spread wide enough that they almost never tangle. The hookup ratio have been above average. The swiveling hook hangers also seem to help keep the fish on the line.

I think guys will like this bait, and I hope you found the review useful. I also hope that others will add their comments. Thanks.

post-21326-0-36719700-1441727683_thumb.jpg

post-21326-0-22064500-1441727708_thumb.jpg

post-21326-0-91130600-1441727738_thumb.jpg

post-21326-0-09090800-1441730541_thumb.jpg

post-21326-0-74713000-1441730567_thumb.jpg

post-21326-0-50220900-1441730611_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the review Wayne. The color that Wayne has will not be available. I was just experimenting with that swirl pattern. They will come in natural color patterns. I am close to starting production and the only change from Wayne's prototype will be a stiffer line tie. The one used on his bait is a little to easy to bend.