I can't catch bass on Slide Swimmers!

FishDr

Water temps when I first started getting into them were in the mid-60s.  Since then they've dropped into the 40s and, at least of last week, the big girls were still prowling the shallows at night (but I didn't get one).  I know from personal experience that they'll continue to do so until the lake is completely iced over (surface temp < 32 F) and that when the first leads open up in the spring they're still there.  It's just a good time to be a walleye and a bad time to be a big baitfish in shallow water, at least when the sun goes down.

Water temps when I first started getting into them were in the mid-60s.  Since then they've dropped into the 40s and, at least of last week, the big girls were still prowling the shallows at night (but I didn't get one).  I know from personal experience that they'll continue to do so until the lake is completely iced over (surface temp < 32 F) and that when the first leads open up in the spring they're still there.  It's just a good time to be a walleye and a bad time to be a big baitfish in shallow water, at least when the sun goes down.

Thanks for the details. I gotta get out there and target these fish with swimbaits. Hope you stick another big one before ice up!

Edited by derds126

Thanks for the details. I gotta get out there and target these fish with swimbaits. Hope you stick another big one before ice up!

That's my hope as well! It's mainly a matter of finding the (night) time to head out and the willingness to spend a few hours casting in sub-freezing temps.

• 2 months later...

Great post as always Doc. That Fall Night Shallow bite works in NY State as well. Often the most miserable nights are the best.

I've had a lot of miserable nights - I never caught a walleye on those nights - I've caught walleye on some pretty grim weather nights, but I never end up miserable then!

I've had a lot of miserable nights - I never caught a walleye on those nights - I've caught walleye on some pretty grim weather nights, but I never end up miserable then!

Lol, agreed. One of he best Walleye nights I ever had was with snow, 25 mph wind blowing right in my face, ice in the guides, the whole package. Freezing my ass off grinning and laughing like an idiot catching fish... Fished other nights like it and went home with nothing, but the one I remember is the good one. :mrgreen: