3:16 Soft Bluegill

SwimbaitsatLMV

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first got this lure I was torn. I loved the profile, looks and colors of the soft gills, but I knew I wasn't going to be able to fish it the way I wanted to. The bait is a line through swimbait with a bottom hanging treble. I really wanted it to be weedless so I could fish it through the grass, trees, stumps, cattails, without hanging to worry about getting snagged.

So heres what I did, I have test swam the lure it swims great, you can burn it and won't roll over, it falls nose down and rest flat on the bottom you can twitch it and doesn't fall over. I don't know about the hook up rate yet, but will follow up on that this spring.

Sick! Gonna have chop mine tonight. I knew i would use those 10/0 beast hooks! :lol:

You might have to play with it alittle on where you screw in your keeper and where your hook comes out. I brought the hook out as tight as I could to the fins,since it comes out slightly off center it will naturally want to swing the weight back to to other side. You Pretty much have to run the keeper in straight I hit an eye with it and the outer shell popped off. If look close there is slit from where the internal weight was up to the hook eye, if you get your screw lock in tight and your hook coming out good it will hold the weight center, and even when I didn't have it perfect it didn't really affect the swimming or fall that much. (i've seen some factory baits come way worse)

BTW You are talking your own risk here, don't be pissed at me if you screw up your soft gill. I looked at it a few ways, If I screw it up I'll have 2-3 less drinks in a bar this week. LOL

Nice video luke...

Cool Mod Damian... does it affect the swim at all? how about tearing? I would try that mode for sure.. maybe take on of the extra line through tubes from the top hook rising son and use that to make the run up to the dorsal fin..

Nope, haven't tried it yet...frozen lakes :roll:

Scmith: You butchered that sunny :lol: Looks good. I might have to do that rig too as soon as I put in another order. Lots of grassy lakes around here.

You might have to play with it alittle on where you screw in your keeper and where your hook comes out. I brought the hook out as tight as I could to the fins,since it comes out slightly off center it will naturally want to swing the weight back to to other side. You Pretty much have to run the keeper in straight I hit an eye with it and the outer shell popped off. If look close there is slit from where the internal weight was up to the hook eye, if you get your screw lock in tight and your hook coming out good it will hold the weight center, and even when I didn't have it perfect it didn't really affect the swimming or fall that much. (i've seen some factory baits come way worse)

BTW You are talking your own risk here, don't be pissed at me if you screw up your soft gill. I looked at it a few ways, If I screw it up I'll have 2-3 less drinks in a bar this week. LOL

Ahhh Im sure ill screw it up once or twice. But once i get it tuned in it should be worth it. We'll see how the hook up ratios go. I mess with every bait I get.. its like a compulsive thing.. I have to tinker with everything :| sometimes good, sometimes bad :lol:

That screw on the beast is a big one. Ever tried replacing it with a hitchhiker or smaller spring. This could solve the problem you were explaining with the eyes popping out if you were a little off center. just a thought. thanks for the rig idea..

• 3 weeks later...

Do you guys boil the tails of the soft bluegill (or other 3:16 soft swimbaits) when you pull them new out of the package? I just received a few bluegills and missionfish and want to be ready when I get to the lake this weekend. I was thinking of doing it as a precautionary measure so that I don't get to lake only to learn that the bluegills are not swiming properly.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Here is a top hook mod that I did today. Here are the before and after pix.

post-148-14252986202138_thumb.jpg

post-148-14252986201607_thumb.jpg

The bait got snagged and I had to pop it loose and as you can see by the this pix the end result sucked. Where is my 3:16 glue at damn it!

post-148-14252986201202_thumb.jpg

If I had a split ring this might not have happened but I felt that it really didn't look natural. Back to the drawing board's.

Just a side note the camera on the iPhone 4s ROCKS!

Here's mine. Line Thru. The split ring will be changed to a small metal ring when i can find one and a much smaller hook but you get the idea. No cutting fins or messin with the internals, fishes same as factory.

How is the split ring connected? I always wondered about the hudd set ups too they are similar.

• 7 months later...

Hey guys, just wanted to share my top hook sunfish. I used a pen ink cartridge to go from the bottom of the bait to the top. I wanted to maintain the original profile of the bait so I ended up slicing the dorsal fin in half and it ended up concealing the hook quite well. Instead of a 1/0 owner, there is now a #1 owner and I'm hoping that the hook up ratio won't be affected because of this. It turned out well, but obviously the bait isn't going to slide up the line as well because of the increased friction due to the angle of the line through the bait. I had to do that angle to put the hook where I wanted it. Hope you guys enjoy it.

post-1867-14252987422839_thumb.jpg

post-1867-14252987423348_thumb.jpg

post-1867-14252987423742_thumb.jpg