3:16 Soft Bluegill

SwimbaitsatLMV

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Hey guys, just wanted to share my top hook sunfish. I used a pen ink cartridge to go from the bottom of the bait to the top. I wanted to maintain the original profile of the bait so I ended up slicing the dorsal fin in half and it ended up concealing the hook quite well. Instead of a 1/0 owner, there is now a #1 owner and I'm hoping that the hook up ratio won't be affected because of this. It turned out well, but obviously the bait isn't going to slide up the line as well because of the increased friction due to the angle of the line through the bait. I had to do that angle to put the hook where I wanted it. Hope you guys enjoy it.

Awesome looking mod! How did you get the pen ink cartridge in and get out the excess plastic in the tube of the pen ink cartridge?

Hey guys, just wanted to share my top hook sunfish. I used a pen ink cartridge to go from the bottom of the bait to the top. I wanted to maintain the original profile of the bait so I ended up slicing the dorsal fin in half and it ended up concealing the hook quite well. Instead of a 1/0 owner, there is now a #1 owner and I'm hoping that the hook up ratio won't be affected because of this. It turned out well, but obviously the bait isn't going to slide up the line as well because of the increased friction due to the angle of the line through the bait. I had to do that angle to put the hook where I wanted it. Hope you guys enjoy it.

Awesome looking mod! How did you get the pen ink cartridge in and get out the excess plastic in the tube of the pen ink cartridge?

I just used a coat hanger wire to punch a path through the bait and then shove the ink cartridge through. Doing that will eliminate any plastic getting clogged in the ink tube.

Thought I would piggy back on the mod done by schmith12. I am using the same 10/0 weighted beast hook, but the difference is that I centered the hook on the bait so that the bait would swim as true as possible. Just like on my top hook mod I split the dorsal fin and this conceals the point of the beast hook. Thanks for the great idea schmith12.

post-1867-14252987745033_thumb.jpg

post-1867-1425298774525_thumb.jpg

post-1867-14252987745492_thumb.jpg

post-1867-14252987745692_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Have you noticed any stability issues when it swims with the split dorsal fin?

Hey guys, the ice around here is finally melting and I went fishing today for the first time since October and it felt great. I played around with my top hook modded sunfish and am happy to say that there are no stability issues; it swims exactly as it is supposed to.

• 1 month later...