Mission Fish

Thebig1

For anyone who's slightly overwhelmed with fishing hard swimbaits and thinks of themselves as more of a jig or worm fisherman I suggest the mission fish. This bait is weedless and has many different applications. Honestly I think that this bait has endless potential. It can be used anytime of the day or night, from flipping, punching grass, fishing deep weed beds and slow rolling it in and over trees.

This bait comes in a variety of colors so matching the hatch is easy to do. I'm sure there's different modifications that can be done to this bait. But fishing it straight out of the package catches fish as well. My first experience with this bait was on lake Mission Viejo at night. We pulled up to a flat that had a deeper grass bed on it. I was told to fish it slow much like a big worm and get ready. I will not use names but he wasn't kidding!!!!! The fish that bit it would just about rip the rod out of your hand.

Presentation was pretty much dead stick it then move it ever so slowly for about a foot then dead stick it again. I was hooked, being a worm/jig fisherman it was easy for me to fish. As I fished this bait more I found other areas where it shined. For instance I would slow roll it over structure such as trees, rock piles, points etc.

The rod I used was 7'11 heavy paired with a Calcutta 400. The line was 20lb big game. This was well before fluro came into the picture. Hope that this bit of personal experience helps others.....remember this the full potential of this bait lies in the fisherman using it. I don't think there is a right or wrong way to fish this bait. Good luck.

The mission fish it is a great bait that some times gets overlooked. I like the fact that it comes in different wheights and sizes. different colors too. I fish it slow like a jig or worm.I want it to look as if it is looking for somthing to eat off the bottom. It has a smaller profile and I like it to be in contact with the bottom, or top of the weeds or what ever I am fishing it over. I have not had any luck swimming it. so all I do is cast it out, wait a min or two then give it a hop and wait again, then a small hop with a drag at the end and wait. I try to mix it up and see what the fish want but no matter how I mix it up it is slow and in contact with what ever. I have had the best luck with the bass color and I also bend the hook like in the video. dont forget there is a lot of bait there. all my strikes have been suttle, they just pick it up and swim away. I also like how it slides up the line when the fight is on ;) . I think the price is a bargin for the fat girls that these things nab. not to mention all the muck and weeds you can throw this thing in. oh yea when you are fishing in the weeds and get weeds or grass on the nose just give it a pop it comes right through no prob. I could go on and on, but just get one tie it on, bend the hook cast it out and hold on. :o

The mission fish it is a great bait that some times gets overlooked. I like the fact that it comes in different wheights and sizes. different colors too. I fish it slow like a jig or worm.I want it to look as if it is looking for somthing to eat off the bottom. It has a smaller profile and I like it to be in contact with the bottom, or top of the weeds or what ever I am fishing it over. I have not had any luck swimming it. so all I do is cast it out, wait a min or two then give it a hop and wait again, then a small hop with a drag at the end and wait. I try to mix it up and see what the fish want but no matter how I mix it up it is slow and in contact with what ever. I have had the best luck with the bass color and I also bend the hook like in the video. dont forget there is a lot of bait there. all my strikes have been suttle, they just pick it up and swim away. I also like how it slides up the line when the fight is on ;) . I think the price is a bargin for the fat girls that these things nab. not to mention all the muck and weeds you can throw this thing in. oh yea when you are fishing in the weeds and get weeds or grass on the nose just give it a pop it comes right through no prob. I could go on and on, but just get one tie it on, bend the hook cast it out and hold on. :o
heres a pic of one. she was 6.1 lbs. it was in the morning about 8.00 or so and the was a bunch of non swimbaiters there that about ish and looked like this :shock:http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff4 ... AG0147.jpg

• 1 month later...

I've fished my Missionfish in 5, 7 and 9" for about a year now. Before I ordered them, I watched the vid that Mickey made re: how to fish it. Well, with his info. I set out the next morning to the local city park lake, that is known for tough fishing. I tied on the 7" bass pattern, rubbed it down with my fave. attractant, made a long cast, and let it sit, after about 30 secs. I gave it a twitch, and BAM!!! 5.9 lb LMB on the First cast of the day.

I have since caught a few more fish on the 7, and 9", I use the smaller 5" for Calico's and spotties in the salt, and I can say, they work real well. Also the Missionfish as I'm sure Y'all know are great for bed fishing, if that's your thang. Anyway, it seems that the Missionfish gets overlooked on some sites, due to whatever. Which reminds me, I need to get some more.. :mrgreen:

Tight Lines

Greg

I've fished my Missionfish in 5, 7 and 9" for about a year now. Before I ordered them, I watched the vid that Mickey made re: how to fish it. Well, with his info. I set out the next morning to the local city park lake, that is known for tough fishing. I tied on the 7" bass pattern, rubbed it down with my fave. attractant, made a long cast, and let it sit, after about 30 secs. I gave it a twitch, and BAM!!! 5.9 lb LMB on the First cast of the day.

I have since caught a few more fish on the 7, and 9", I use the smaller 5" for Calico's and spotties in the salt, and I can say, they work real well. Also the Missionfish as I'm sure Y'all know are great for bed fishing, if that's your thang. Anyway, it seems that the Missionfish gets overlooked on some sites, due to whatever. Which reminds me, I need to get some more.. :mrgreen:

Tight Lines

Greg

How do you fish them for calico? Just curious my uncles fish ocean. I'd buy them some to try. Do you drag on the bottom or what? If its a secret I understand haha

Danny, not a secret, but it depends if your fishing kelp beds, or rocks, i.e. jetties.

I like to fish the Missionfish around rocks, and try and imitate a injured baitfish. In kelp beds I throw right into the thick of things, usually guys tossin big hammers and the like don't like throwing in there unless they have a weedless jig head. I also use braid, or a 20 fluro leader, let the bait sink a bit, as the kelp won't let it fall as fast as it does in open water, then I give it a twitch, and reel, I try to keep the bait off the bottom.

Also, if you don't mind losing a couple of baits, you can jig a Missionfish on the bottom near rocks, just use a Good abrasive resistant fluro, or mono. Beware, good sized checkers can tear a bait up pretty quick, so have some spares.. :lol: I really like because of the Weedless factor. Also FS's in the 6" version will work to, but I dare not toss em due to the cost.

BTW, you could try the 7" model to try and get the real big girls to play.. :mrgreen: