Mission Fish

Thebig1

I used mono to start(20 or 25lb big game). I lost a fish the first time out. I then switched to braid and had 0 bites in several trips. So I started using a fluoro leader after that and then had some success and did not lose any fish. It is a pretty small sample size but I think the braid + fluoro makes a difference. I use 65 or 80 lb braid (power pro) and then a 20 lb invisx leader. First time I've used braid or fluoro so I can't really compare to other brands but they seem to do the job.

-Dave

• 1 month later...

New to the site. Saw the reference to salt water and the MLPA and I had to chime in. This latest imposition by the very vocal and well-funded minority is a travesty of everything that is decent and good in this country. As of today it appears that two of the members of the scientific advisory committee that pushed for these closures have been arrested on charges OD defrauding an Indian tribe of millions of dollars. So much for honesty amongst the ranks of the tree huggers.

My brother and I have fished all of the closed areas for the past four years and always practiced catch and release. Furthermore, in all these years we have never witnessed abusive harvesting of fish. The calico bass fishing in the kelp is phenomenal and is a tragedy the way that true conservationists have been marginalized and forced out of waters they have every right to fish. It is one more example of small special interest groups imposing their will on the larger yet more moderate and peaceful majority.

It won't be long before some lakes are made off limits to fishing; I believe it's coming unless all of us who love and treasure the outdoors organize and premptively fight back. Before its too late.

Ok so we are ready to fish the MF in the little kelp we have available within kayak range. I throw 60 - 80# PP with 30-40# fluoro. Will this "overpower" the MF? I'm ready to get a few. Do you throw it out of the box stock or tweak it some?

You can see some of our kayak fishing adventures on YTube under my user name of "flatinfifth".

LOVE THIS SITE!!!! Thanks

that line won't over power it. I run straight 80lb braid and it casts easily and fishes comfortably.

As for tweaking it. I always bend the hook out and to the side slightly. The hook should basically be parallel to the back of the bait and not angled with the point down at all. Then skin hook it and you're good to go. It's deadly in the kelp, just bring lots of glue to frankenstein the baits back together.

• 5 months later...

I dig this bait on the highest level. It's one of my favorites to throw, honestly. Before swimbaits all I threw were jigs, soft plastics, and more jigs. Most of that time was spent fishing heavy vegetation and wood. So naturally when I first threw the Mission Fish it brought me back to good times. I haven't caught any big bass on it, but a couple nive cats and bass. My most productive retrieve at night has been a fast retrieve in shallow water around cover. They just smack the crap out of it.

The only real area of concern (and it's a softbait, so naturally this will happen) is the durability, specifically where the hook shank goes through the plastic. It gets torn to crap after one or two fish. One of my baits was chewed so much it actually fell apart mid-retrieve, but that was after it was beyond the point of mend-itable and probably close to twenty fish, LOL. I would imagine a thicker plastic in that area would help, and it seems the 2.0 version has just that.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I tried looking for the video on how to fish and rig these...anyone have a link??

Top Ramen

Lure jerk

hard to fish it wrong. Mickey recommends bending the hook point to the side. so it isnt perfectly inline with the body of the bait. I bend mine to the left so the point of the hook is just shy of the edge of the body. It does substantially improve hook up ratios for me. 6-10/0 beast hook with the screw lock removed is what I think 316 recommends now also over the old wide gap weedless. It does have alot less flex