Walleye don't hit Slammers...

FishDr

Thanks everyone!

It's a new week and there's a good great chance I'll be heading out again.  Hopefully the fish (bass, walleye, wiper) are still hitting big baits - we had a pretty wicked cold front come through (first frosts down at 5280', 10" of snow up higher) so things are definitely transitioning.

• 2 weeks later...

You're the man! My car has been broken down for about two weeks now but I'm supposed to get it back tomorrow so I'm looking forward to going hard for some swimbait fish this weekend!

I'm really not - just a normal guy who sometimes gets lucky.  I do commit to throwing swimbaits more than the typical CO angler, and my success rate (or lack of success rate) shows it - lots of zeros in the fish column but the occasional memorable one.  Good luck if you head out this weekend!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for posting. Your slammer technique is flawless.

I don't know if I'd call it flawless.  I chuck them out.  I wind them back.  I chuck them out.  I wind them back.  That's about it.   ;-)

Okay, maybe there's a little more to it, but I'd say it's more about location than presentation - the beauty of the MS Slammers is that if you figure out the ideal speed for them to throw their optimal wake, they'll get bit.  As for location and walleyes, I was just lucky - even a blind squirrel finds its nuts sometimes.  :lol:  I won't be surprised if that never happens again...not that I won't be trying for a repeat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Great post. I've fished a lot for walleye in NY state, similar experiences with big fish and swimbaits over the years. Most of the fish are subsurface, every now and then I get some on the surface. Funny thing is 75% of the time when I get a walleye on the surface I get MORE THAN ONE...certainly a rare occurrence and I've never been able to figure out what triggers it but when it happens I'm more than happy to play along. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...