Mattlures Hardgill

deep

Solid review! Thanks for taking the time to put it together. I too have used the Hard Gills and they definitely have a place in my swimbait arsenal. Here at 5200' they are deadly in late fall as a deadstick bait, but I discovered last year that they can also do deadly execution on fish when waked and paused slowly at night. Most of the time it's bass (sorry, our bass aren't normally that big).

file_zpse3a6ff1c.jpg

Sometimes it is something other than bass!

file_zps02f7f3ba.jpg

My bait (so far I'm still throwing the original one I bought a couple of years back - I have another spare) has taken some damage to the pelvic fins, but it doesn't seem to affect the fish catching ability one bit.

• 8 months later...

The floating hardgill has been one of my most productive baits the last couple of summers. I've been using it in heavily fished small lakes mostly and some large reservoirs. Where as I use a lot of big baits as search baits, I've been using this bait as more of target bait. I like to find bream beds and fish any kind of cover in the area. Whether it be docks, trees, a single stick or a shade pocket. My best retrieve has been very slow and steady after letting the bait sit for a few seconds. I've also caught fish dead sticking the bait over bream beds. This kind of fishing requires a lot of stealth because the fish are so shallow. It's obvious, but stay back if you're in a boat and stay out of sight if you're bank fishing. I'll often stand behind trees or make long casts parallel to the bank.

As stated before, durability has been an issue on the early baits, which is what I have. I added a coat of DV2 and that seems to have helped but I've still repaired the tail multiple times. The newer ones are supposed to be much more durable and I got a slow sink from the most recent release but I haven't got to fish it yet. I will say that as good as the old paint jobs are, the new ones blow them away. The colors really pop in the sunlight.

Most of the fish I've caught have been short and fat or long and extremely skinny. I dont know why this is. Most of the other fish I catch in these lakes are fat. I have pictures I planned to post but I can't seem to upload them from my phone since I updated to iOS 8

Has anyone had good experiences with the 2 piece wakes? Just picked up a used one in the Black Market in the male gill color, and it looks amazing. I'm planning on casting it over bedding areas, and dead sticking it with the occasional crank of the reel to piss the big girls off. I'd love to hear about preferred retrieves or observations about the bait.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...