Phenix M1 ~hvy. swimbait rod

Riffmeister

~ Just throwing out my 2cents on this rod.....

I recently bought this rod as a replacement for my dobyns 806hsb since my dobyns was f**king broken, i really liked my 806 as i rarely launched larger than 7.5" baits . . i won't lie i was very skeptic about buying this phenix just because ive never fished one and didnt research sh*t on them before buying but none the less it is a badass rod ! for instance my 806 felt more like you were "lobbing" baits when you cast, but this phenix has that custom blank feel to it and instead of "lobbing" you cast with more of a "snap" feel instead....hope this makes sense ha ! , i know there are differences like the 806hsb has two more eyes and the handles and reel seats are drastically differ but for anyone interested in buying one i would advise it highly (compared to other rods in the $150~$200 range). I have casted a wide range of different weight baits and this rod functioned awsome especially with the 8" hudds....it would blast them out further than any 8' rod ive used before, in my opinion the phenix M1 rods are truly worth their $$$.

** i was using mine with 20# senshi line **

I've got the same rod, and I'm a big fan. I use it primarily for medium sized glides: 175, suicide glide 7", Esflat, Gillroid, Gantarel, etc. Also good for TTs unless you're using the biggest sizes. It works fantastic, in my opinion: loads well and casts great. Seems to have more parabolic action than some of the less expensive options like the Guide Select series, which, in my opinion, is not a good rod for treble baits. The Okuma GS has way too much action in the tip, and those head shakes make a lot of movement that translates to fish throwing hooks with disturbing regularity. I upgraded to the Phenix M1 and haven't had the same problem throwing my treble baits. I made the switch last spring after watching several 4+ lb smallies throw both trebles on a glide bait near the boat without even having to leave the water. Water was crystal clear, and I could see both trebles stuck, but the GS tip had too much give and not enough bend down into the blank, and those fish managed to shake both hooks at least 3 times. 2 of the bronze backs would've beaten by PB but a healthy margin. Needless to say, I was, uh, "frustrated" in the multiple 4 letter word manner. Switched to the M1 and haven't lost a fish on a treble bait yet.

~ Just throwing out my 2cents on this rod.....

I recently bought this rod as a replacement for my dobyns 806hsb since my dobyns was f**king broken, i really liked my 806 as i rarely launched larger than 7.5" baits . . i won't lie i was very skeptic about buying this phenix just because ive never fished one and didnt research sh*t on them before buying but none the less it is a badass rod ! for instance my 806 felt more like you were "lobbing" baits when you cast, but this phenix has that custom blank feel to it and instead of "lobbing" you cast with more of a "snap" feel instead....hope this makes sense ha ! , i know there are differences like the 806hsb has two more eyes and the handles and reel seats are drastically differ but for anyone interested in buying one i would advise it highly (compared to other rods in the $150~$200 range). I have casted a wide range of different weight baits and this rod functioned awsome especially with the 8" hudds....it would blast them out further than any 8' rod ive used before, in my opinion the phenix M1 rods are truly worth their $$$.

** i was using mine with 20# senshi line **

What rod do you have? SMX82H Edited by anglr420

Agree with all the above. Phenix makes some great rods and the M1 SB is my fav. I use the 80MH and mainly fish large TW plugs for stripers. I've landed a few over 25lbs with no problems. I've also recently tested it out with other applications. i've caught a couple salmon jigging spoons. Also some lingcod and rockfish in the salt. Very versital if you ask me!

PicsArt_zpsmeeais9h.png

Edited by Fishstix024

• 2 weeks later...

I own the phenix as well.  I throw baits from 3-5 oz on it most of the time and its been great.  I was using it to throw the deps 250 for a bit, which is handled, but I had to be cautious.  Over all I really am a big fan of the rod. Looks clean, has a nice parabolic action, slings some baits really well, and has a nice long handle.

The guides aren't reinforced as much as the inshore series, or like some other swimbait rods out there, but Im sure it makes for an overall lighter design.

• 1 month later...

I own the phenix as well.  I throw baits from 3-5 oz on it most of the time and its been great.  I was using it to throw the deps 250 for a bit, which is handled, but I had to be cautious.  Over all I really am a big fan of the rod. Looks clean, has a nice parabolic action, slings some baits really well, and has a nice long handle.

The guides aren't reinforced as much as the inshore series, or like some other swimbait rods out there, but Im sure it makes for an overall lighter design.

+1 

it can handle 250s, just not as well as something rated a little heavier. i tend to be extra careful when i tie one on. 

• 4 weeks later...

Got this rod as a prize for the bass brigade 12 days of xmas give away. Stoked at first. Other day I took it out to throw a s waver 200 on it. Tip snapped right off. Not stoked to say the least. Everything I threw on it was well under its oz rating and it never felt solid. Bummed it broke. Gonna stick to my dobyns.

if you step up to the next blank the 79H, 711H or 82H which are all rated 3-8oz it has a lot more power that loads up mid blank.  Its great for all the hard baits from 3-6 oz.  Not so much for the stuff up over 7 but I like  to fish  baits a few ounces below the top of the rating on all of my rods.

They just need to come out with one with the guide and grip layout of the Swimbait model.  then it would be perfect.  the 1-6 rated M1 rods top out at 4oz for me but I feel even still don't have enough back bone to set the hooks deep on a long cast.  the Parabolic bend gives me fits and I loose fish.  But I am also used to fishing a LDC XXH custom