Shimano Reels: Calcutta Conquest (low pro round reel) vs Curado DSV / Calcutta D

T Dot

post-19607-0-11196300-1449024730_thumb.jpeg

I have always been a die hard Shimano fan and with the new Conquest - I believe I will continue to be one.

I have added a picture of all the reels. This will give you an idea and a sense of how small the Conquest really is. The reel on the far left is a Curado DSV (OG grey) and the reel on the right is the new style Calcutta D (low profile).

I have always gravitated to low profile reels. With newer designs, the term low profile can also be applied to round reels.

As all my friends said - the Conquest is perfect and once you move into one, the other reels will take a back seat. I cannot find one thing wrong with this reel. It has an insanely small form factor and out of the box the gearing system is smooth as butter.

For those looking into a Calcutta D or currently using one, I highly recommend looking into the Conquest. The Calcutta D is a stepping stone (or gateway drug) to the Conquest.

Hopefully this post helps someone make a better decision on their upcoming reel purchase.

:)

Can you use the new CC400 for lures between  9 - 15 Oz??

I ordered the new DEPS Giant Bait rod  and now I´m looking for the right reel.

Both the Calcutta D and Conquest reels can handle the mother (approx 11oz).  I havent really gone beyond that, but I think its safe to assume it can go higher.

I would have pulled the trigger sooner if the Conquest was available in more brick and mortar stores.

Normally I would recommend taking advantage of Tackle Warehouse's demo program (http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/DemosbyVendor.html?vcode=SHIMANO), but I don't see the reel available yet.  It might be too early to have this in the demo program.

I'll second Louie's recommendation on the Conquest. I've been primarily using Shimano Curado 301e reels for my swimbaiting. I generally average fishing 6 days a week from April to November (early retirement is a wonderful thing). At the end of that time a 301e is a good deal looser and noisier than it was at the start of the season, and you're in line to replace the bearings and other minor maintenance. I'm finishing up a season with the Conquest 401 and it is still incredibly tight and quiet. The Curado 301e is a good reel, but the Conquest is definitely a few notches above.

Nice review by Louie.

Reels in the picture (right to left):

- Curado 301 DSV

- Conquest 401

- Calcutta 401 D

Thanks

makes me wanna pick up a new conquest

Think my 400 was delivered today, I saw the 300 over the weekend and couldn't believe how small they were.

best reels ever made hands down , I absolutely love all of mine . I have some conquest that are going on 6 years old continuous use too with very little maintenance done if any and still going strong YOU get what you pay for .

Edited by JeremyW

well, if you were going to be tossing 9'' slammers, lunker punkers, hudds, etc. New 301D vs pre-owned 301CC. both the same price.

I believe he's talking about quality of components within the reel overall. In which case, yes, the D is not on the same level. 

The older Conquest are no doubt awesome reels, if you have the patience to deal with saving a little longer, i'd opt for the new Conquests! Howevere, the Conquest/TE line is tough to beat if you can score a good deal. Great reels

Just my opinion for what it's worth. 

Geoff