Daiwa Lexa 300 issues

Anthony Notaroberta

I received my Daiwa Lexa 300 in the mail about a week ago. Took it out to throw the 6" Hudd. I was only out for about 30 and in that time on several occasions, I would engage the reel and cast, then once my bait was in the water, I'd turn the handle to engage the reel and it would just keep spinning, the reel would only engage by me pushing the thumb bar up with my thumb, this happened at least 5 or 6 times in 30 mins. Has anyone else had this issue with this reel?? I sent it back to TW, idk if I sould get another one or swap it for a different reel. Any recommendations would help. I was thinking of swapping it for the Calcutta B Series or the Curado 300e. What do you guys think? Oh and by the way it was a 5:1 gear ratio

It sounds like it needs to be cleaned and greased again. It probably sat for a while not being used. Youll need to take the handle side - side plate off, pull the gears from the drive shaft, and grease up the metal clutch lever, and the yoke. If you have a diagram of the reel, or look on Daiwa's website for it, youll need to grease parts 42 and 44. Hope this helps.

Same thing happened with my Lexa 5:1. Brought it back to Daiwa 3 times and it still doesn't engage all the time... I'd say 1/6 casts, it will just slip and not go into gear.

Take it back and have them replace all clutch components at the same time. Each one I've done that to, hasn't happened again. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I really don't understand the popularity of this reel. I bought one and sold it after the first few casts. I just didn't like it, felt hollow and cheap to me.  I bought a Revo Toro 50HS and haven't looked back. The Toro is a great reel and lays a big bait out there with no problem at all. Big handle and very smooth.  I would get one of those , a Curado 300E, or even a Tatula HD which I also like and have found all of these to be superior to the Lexa. Not trying to hurt anyone's feelings about their Lexa and if you think it's a good reel you then your opinion is right. Everyone likes what they like and no one is wrong, just my opinion.

I really don't understand the popularity of this reel. I bought one and sold it after the first few casts. I just didn't like it, felt hollow and cheap to me.  I bought a Revo Toro 50HS and haven't looked back. The Toro is a great reel and lays a big bait out there with no problem at all. Big handle and very smooth.  I would get one of those , a Curado 300E, or even a Tatula HD which I also like and have found all of these to be superior to the Lexa. Not trying to hurt anyone's feelings about their Lexa and if you think it's a good reel you then your opinion is right. Everyone likes what they like and no one is wrong, just my opinion.

Answered your own question man! lol

In all honesty, they are decent reels for the price. With a little love they smooth out really nice. Everything boils down to what you said, personal preference. The gear ratios I think also played a fair role in the popularity, more options for everyone.