Bed Fished Swimbait Bass

G_Heikes

Here's the beginning of the rules for the Monthly SUB Tournament. Bed fishing with a Swimbait is not swimbaiting

SUB Tournament will be March 21st - March 27th

You must sign up in this thread before the tournament starts on the 21st or your fish will not count

Please read and follow all the rules.

1) Biggest fish wins the tournament

2) Fish must be legitimately caught with a swimbait. Cast and retrieve only, no bed fishing.

3) Pictures must include:

Here's the beginning of the rules for the Monthly SUB Tournament. Bed fishing with a Swimbait is not swimbaiting

SUB Tournament will be March 21st - March 27th

You must sign up in this thread before the tournament starts on the 21st or your fish will not count

Please read and follow all the rules.

1) Biggest fish wins the tournament

2) Fish must be legitimately caught with a swimbait. Cast and retrieve only, no bed fishing.

3) Pictures must include:

???? this isn't for the tournament? I simply posted as a swimbait fish.. I wasnt aware that a post in here was qualifying for the tournament. Just thought i could post a picture of a swimbait fish. my bad.

and "fish must be legitimately caught with a swimbait. Cast and retrieve only, no bed fishing"  if you happened to read my last post, this was caught by casting and retrieving, just near the bed. I didn't sit on this fish and deadstick the swimbait in the bed. Like what was said earlier, and unbelievable amount of big swimbait fish caught "casting and retrieving" are actually caught off of their beds or near them, the angler just doesnt know. You need to re-evaluate your definitions of "swimbaiting" and get back to the basics

Edited by G_Heikes

Guys like other topics that have been brought up recently there are certain things that have been beaten to death prior to the new crop. A simple search will yield you the results you're looking for. We are not here criticizing you or your catch just simple stating something that's been established from the beginning.

A post in the Got em forum equates entry into the monthy tourney

Im too newly active in the forum to have figured that out, i just thought you could post a picture of a bass caught on a swimbait.

???? this isn't for the tournament? I simply posted as a swimbait fish.. I wasnt aware that a post in here was qualifying for the tournament. Just thought i could post a picture of a swimbait fish. my bad.

and "fish must be legitimately caught with a swimbait. Cast and retrieve only, no bed fishing"  if you happened to read my last post, this was caught by casting and retrieving, just near the bed. I didn't sit on this fish and deadstick the swimbait in the bed. Like what was said earlier, and unbelievable amount of big swimbait fish caught "casting and retrieving" are actually caught off of their beds or near them, the angler just doesnt know. You need to re-evaluate your definitions of "swimbaiting" and get back to the basics

The title of your post says it all

Im too newly active in the forum to have figured that out, i just thought you could post a picture of a bass caught on a swimbait.

Was just being sarcastic.  Those rules do not apply, therefore they yield no valid reason to be posted on your thread.

The title of your post says it all

Yes bed fished, but differently than sitting on the bed and hopping a jig in the bed constantly, i backed off the fish, casted and retrieved my swimbait and she bit. Im not trying to qualify in some tournament, i didnt even know that was an option in this section. Just posted as a "swimbaiting report" like titled under the "Got'em" heading. Sorry if this is a big misunderstanding but im not trying to enter the tournament, im just posting as a report of my swimbait bass, nothing more.

Guys like other topics that have been brought up recently there are certain things that have been beaten to death prior to the new crop. A simple search will yield you the results you're looking for. We are not here criticizing you or your catch just simple stating something that's been established from the beginning.

Also havent been active on here for long enough to go through and see what other guys have been bashed for. 

Correct me if im wrong but this section is so people can freely post their pictures of bass theyve caught on swimbaits

We only use the rules of the tournament as an example. Nothing against you or your fish there's just certain things The Underground has done from the beginning to set us apart from other swimbaiting sites.

http://swimbaitunderground.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

Yes bed fished, but differently than sitting on the bed and hopping a jig in the bed constantly, i backed off the fish, casted and retrieved my swimbait and she bit. Im not trying to qualify in some tournament, i didnt even know that was an option in this section. Just posted as a "swimbaiting report" like titled under the "Got'em" heading. Sorry if this is a big misunderstanding but im not trying to enter the tournament, im just posting as a report of my swimbait bass, nothing more.

We only use the rules of the tournament as an example. Nothing against you or your fish there's just certain things The Underground has done from the beginning to set us apart from other swimbaiting sites.

I think there is confusion still...SU is saying for the NEW "monthly got em" contest...your bed fished bass will not be considered per previously established rules (i.e. "cast and retrieve")...this is not to be confused with the SUB tourney held every month (which if the fish was caught during the tourney week still wouldn't count because of the bed fished admission)...

Greg is just saying he's posting a bed fished picture for people to see with a legitimately used tactic of a swimbait designed to bed fish...

The biggest issue was when SU chimed in generally stating bed fishing is not swimbait fishing...fishing is fishing and I have searched some archives and found similar topics all opinion based...there still is nothing that says pulling a bedding fish off the bed with a swimbait is NOT swimbait fishing...other than the tourney

I think there is confusion still...SU is saying for the NEW "monthly got em" contest...your bed fished bass will not be considered per previously established rules (i.e. "cast and retrieve")...this is not to be confused with the SUB tourney held every month (which if the fish was caught during the tourney week still wouldn't count because of the bed fished admission)...

Greg is just saying he's posting a bed fished picture for people to see with a legitimately used tactic of a swimbait designed to bed fish...

The biggest issue was when SU chimed in generally stating bed fishing is not swimbait fishing...fishing is fishing and I have searched some archives and found similar topics all opinion based...there still is nothing that says pulling a bedding fish off the bed with a swimbait is NOT swimbait fishing...other than the tourney

No confusion here bedfishing is not swimbaiting. We use the tournament as an example, during your search I'm sure you found topics created by various members.

This is crazy. Most fish that are fat girls right now in warm water are on bed. Whether you saw them or not.

I understand it for the SU tourney, but I always envisioned flipping a Gantarel from ten feet away.

There is nothing wrong with what he did. Y'all need to calm down.

And if there is no skill, you could be making a lot of money right now in sight fishing tournaments.

How is it any different than fishing a trout stocking? Just humans dumping in a ton of live bait.... Not sort of odd. (This is devils advocate before I get hammered)

No confusion here bedfishing is not swimbaiting. We use the tournament as an example, during your search I'm sure you found topics created by various members.

Like I posted in definitive detail earlier, there are in fact MULTIPLE ways to pull a fish from a bed with a swimbait,, correct???? Ok, if we got that far and there's disagreement, I guess we can't go further, it becomes synonymous with trying to explain to a flaming liberal that guns do not kill people, PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE.

Ok, for those of us who can agree to those two things, because they're FACT and not OPINION, congratulations you've passed the competency test and may procede in helping me figure out exactly what's going on here....

Ok, if someone admits to seeing a female on a bed, (with me so far SU??), and they drop their bait, any bait for the sake of argument, onto the bed that a female is visibly laying on and "locked and loaded" (SIGHT FISHING terminology), and in their story they eluded to the fact she struck the lure to remove it from her bed. That's the most popular definition of "bed fishing" the greater fishing community would adopt.

Now,, delving one step further into the matter, if the angler admits to seeing a female on what he thinks is a bed, and she appears to be stationary, not spooking from seeing or hearing him, and he's employing a cast and retrieve method to entice her to react out of aggression, and he depicts in his story that he caught the fish without ever dropping the bait onto her bed, but rather keeping the bait in a state of continuous motion. That is in fact still bed fishing, yes??? Now this is where we're going to all need to come to agreement on.

Then there's the other way of "bed fishing". BLIND bed fishing, also popular terminology amongst guys that have been doing this a while. This is where an angler employs various tactics to catch a spawning female when he BELIEVES there's a possibility of a female being on a bed in a particular area. This is where the angler has no VISUAL evidence to suggest there's factually a fish present or not, but more so an idea or theory the angler is relying on out of experience he's culminated through research or actually having done it himself at one time or another.

Here's another example aside from the story I provided earlier in the thread. I was a field martial in a BASS elite event on the CA delta in 08'. If you ever have the opportunity to be a martial, do it, I guarantee you'll learn something, whether you yourself are a pro or not, you will learn something, maybe that something isn't anything you'll even use for yourself. I got paired with Aaron Martens, an extremely well established fisherman of many tactics, particularly finesse fishing. Aaron will sit on one loan tule strand fishing diligently for HOURS on a bed fish. Strategically placing his bait in a certain spot, twitching it, dead sticking it, in a very careful tactful way, , all the while talking aloud what's going on, sounding like a commentator for a golf tournament or something, even sounding at times like he's having a conversation with the fish. This is all taking place in approx 4' deep of water, stained with 2' max visibility. Make sense to you? Me neither. He's doing it with an IMAGINARY FISH!!!! Yes, exactly, this is taking "blind bed fishing" to dimensions the mortal man cannot even conceive doing! Try sitting on a boat, for hours with that kind of heavy action taking place, it took me back to being a kid trolling for hours with my dad, the most notable action for the greater part of the day is if/when the rod tip would twitch... yea, no thank you. But this very refined tactic pays off for the extremely successful Aaron Martens. He caught five of those apparently not so imaginary fish that day and weighed in a hefty sack well over 30#. So,, if a swimbaiter uses this tactic, "blind bed fishing", is it factually bed fishing or not??? Factually I'd say yes.

If the answer SU comes up with is yes, where do we go from there. Because if that's the case, anyone who fishes in the time period where the spawn is taking place, IS POTENTIALLY BED FISHING whether knowingly, unknowingly, or like Aaron imaginarily. Fact.

So how does one judge whether the fish that was caught, one way or the other during the spawn, is legitimate? Aside from the obvious bed fishing by way of sight fishing, tactic. It'll come down to the storyteller I guess. I'm assuming if we mention having an idea there are spawners in the area, we're guilty of bed fishing... I blind bed fish all the time during the months of Apr-June. Like my previous story, similarly to Aaron but nooo where near the level, I too have negotiations with fish that are in my mind present, but possibly not at all. I guess if my theory pays off, and 33% of those fish and scenarios aren't so imaginary, I'm guilty of bed fishing even having never seen a fish at all and that fish isn't even considered a valid catch according to SU and several other ignorant members here. I guess all the fish I catch, any of us catch are not valid then.

If that's the case, I respectfully agree to disagree.