AUSTRALIA: Murray Cod

T Dot

That's cool! But check out Baramundi fishing, those fish are nuts!

Will do!  Thanks for the recommendation.

I am already highly intrigued about this fish.  I wish they were closer.

post-19607-0-61471900-1462972267_thumb.jpeg

Here is another pic. My understanding there many fish caught already, some being meter fish. A meter fish is a trophy in cod standards, most weighing in excess of 50lbs.

I can't imagine what the fight would be like - it's something I would want to experience.

URL:

- https://instagram.com/p/BFK4oC6P3ez/

Murray cod - a fish that was on my list when I lived in Australia, but I never did manage to catch one.  Now I've got one more reason to go back (not that I need a reason...I just need money)!

Murray cod - a fish that was on my list when I lived in Australia, but I never did manage to catch one.  Now I've got one more reason to go back (not that I need a reason...I just need money)!

Out of curiosity why didnt you catch one and what lures/gear did you use? 

Out of curiosity why didnt you catch one and what lures/gear did you use? 

The main reason was that I only had a chance to fish for them once, and that was back in the days when Vic McCrystal was still writing for Modern Fishing.  I was fishing with a mate down around Albury-Wodonga and was throwing small deep-diving cranks on a medium threadline outfit. I did get a couple of redfin, but no Murray cod.  The next time I visit, I hope to fix that problem - I did get a barra north of Cairns a couple of trips ago, and some sooty grunters, jungle perch, and mangrove jacks, but Murray cod and golden perch eluded me (mainly 'cause I lived in the wrong area).

Edited by FishDr

• 2 months later...

I'm from Australia, on the coast so not the right area for cod but they can get to 250lb, a big one now is around 30-75, got heaps of other big swimbait eating fish too like barramundi, big bass, Saratoga, mulloway, estuary perch.

• 1 month later...