3:16 No Bullfrog

flaswimbaiter

Description: The product under review is the 3:16 No Bullfrog, which is a soft plastic, topwater frog bait. The product comes four to a package and includes an 8/0 Gamakatsu G-Mag hook. The bait is designed with a slot for the hook and an air pocket in the center portion of the bait to keep it afloat.

Rigged with a hook

RiggedTop.jpg

Close up

closeup.jpg

closeuptop2.jpg

closeuptop.jpg

Top and bottom

back2.jpg

belly2.jpg

sideview2.jpg

The size of the bait depends on the position of the legs, relaxed the bait is 6.5â€, when fully extended it reached 7.5â€.

Size comparison to a Wake Jr.

FrogWakeJrCompare2.jpg

First Impressions: Living in Florida, utilizing frogs is a necessity when fishing these weedy lakes and I have had great success in using different types. I was on the fence about using such a large bait considering I have never seen any frogs that big in my area, however, after speaking with Mickey I decided to give them a try. When I first took the bait out of the package I was amazed on how realistic of a silhouette it had, because ultimately the fish is going to be looking upwards toward the bait. The baits realism speaks for itself, as you can see from the photo below compared to an actual frog (thanks shinner) and compared to other baits on the market…..well, there really isn’t much of a comparison in reference to size or realism.

ComparisonShinner.jpg

P1290794.jpg

Rigging: For step by step instructions, refer to the 3:16 website.

http://316lurecompany.com/baits/frog.html

Or the following video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzwM7rpQrr4

Rigging the bait is no different than rigging any soft plastic such as a Mission Fish. As you can tell from the following photo, the gap allows more than enough room to assist in hooking a fish.

Riggedsideview.jpg

The baits come with small depressions on the nose and just underneath between the eyes to use as a guideline when rigging. Simply run the hook through the nose, then through the bottom just under the eyes and though the body slot. When skin hooking the bait, make sure not to go too deeply or you could damage the air pocket which could cause the bait to sink on the retrieve. I prefer the hook that comes with the bait because if you get caught on weeds or wood the bait will just slide down the hook with not damage, it would just need to be readjusted. I would recommend not using a bait keeper type hook; this would rip holes in the nose that might be difficult to repair. I also recommend gluing the small hole that leads to the air pocket, just to guarantee not water can get inside.

Color selection: I started with black because I fish mainly during low light conditions or at night. My second choice was green to “match the hatch†when fishing during lighter condition. In speaking with another member, he preferred white because to him almost all frogs have a white belly, which is also a valid point is selecting that color. Ultimately it depends on water clarity, weather conditions, and the user’s personal preference. 3:16 offers a nice variety from black, green, brown, and white, although I would like to see the pink used in the demonstration to become available. Hint Hint

Performance: The only thing more impressive than the lures realism is its versatility. Normally you would need different types of frog baits to fit a particular situation, such as a buzzing bait, popper, walking, etc., but with this bait you can achieve it all. The lure if very effective in walking and gurgling through the pads or over mats and due to its size and weight it sits much lower, which could increase your hook up ratio. It can be buzzed across the surface spitting water and can be popped or chugged then deadsticked, which is my favorite technique.

When you are walking the bait with short twitches, the legs kick back and forth like a real frog, to demonstrate, the following videos are of a real frog moving across the surface and the No Bullfrog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUA3qBRrZQc

Because of such realistic kicking action, the bait could also be weighted and worked subsurface. Unfortunately being winter and my pool temperature being in the low 60s, I could not shoot any underwater footage.

Here are some videos of the bait in action.

Walking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw5jN9u4bIk

Popping

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-fANgxdL6Q

Buzzing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esR82jkZb2w

Castability was a doubt in my mind when I first saw the bait, I could just imagine those long appendages just flapping in the wind, but I was surprised how well it casted. The legs fold up which prevents it from flopping or spinning. You have to remember also that is a large, somewhat heavy bait, that floats due to the air pocket, not because of the material it is made of like some other lures. I have no problem casting this bait with my swimbait set up, which is an 8†MH XF action swimbait rod and an Abu Revo reel. However, I found that I can get a little more distance with my 7’ 11†Cumara MH XF combined with my Curado 200E. I did discover recently that attempting to toss this bait with a fast action or medium rod will greatly reduce your distance, whatever you use it needs to be stiff.

One negative I found would be the placement of the air pocket. Although I doubt any reasonable changes could be made to the bait, I believe it would an improvement to move pocket out of the way of the hook. The top portion of the bait if very thick which prevents the pocket from being penetrated, but there is always the possibility. Another issue, which is easily remedied, is on long cast water can be pushed into the air pocket preventing it from floating. There are to solutions to this problem, the first is to glue the small hole at the end of the pocket inside of the hook slot, the other would be to thumb your spool and slow the bait considerably so it plops down gently, therefore preventing water from being pushed up into the cavity. I have found that sometime when it does sink I give it a hard jerk and it begins to float again. I can only assume it pulls the water out of the lure.

Durability: There have been some doubts raised about the lures durability, but I have to say that I have not seen this at all. Of course the baits get damaged, but all soft plastics do. I found that the bait normally pulls down on the hook when caught on something, which prevents damage and it also glues back together very well. I was also impressed by the legs, they have small joints and I thought for sure after a few fish they would get ripped to right out, but that wasn’t the case. I actually still have my first four baits; I just keep gluing them and reusing them.

I also found that the plastic does not have much of a memory. Due to fishing from shore I have to travel light and cram my frogs into a small tackle box and every time I pull them out they are not disfigured and work just as they are supposed to.

crammedin.jpg

Effectiveness: In the short time I have been using this lure I have had good success catching fish up to 7 pounds. Mostly this bait does keep the smaller fish at bay; most of my bites have been gar or larger fish. I started using the baits during the fall when the frog bite normally slows down, but it has still produced. I anticipate a very productive spring and summer this year when the frogs come out in force.

4lbsnobullfrog2.jpg

7lbs.jpg

Conclusion: If you use frogs and are looking for a very weedless, realistic, versatile, larger bait, the 3:16 No Bullfrog would be exactly what you are looking for. I don’t believe there is another frog bait on the market that can compare, there are some negatives of course, but he positives far outweigh them.

Dave (flaswimbaiter)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic