3:16 No Bullfrog

flaswimbaiter

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, Great review! Thanks. Seeing the bait next to other frogs puts it in perspective, it's huge! Quick question, think there is another hook to use other than the EWG? I fish some heavy pads, was wondering if it sat flatter, w/o. the "keel" of the hook coming out of the bottom, that it might drag better across the pads?

Wow, Great review! Thanks. Seeing the bait next to other frogs puts it in perspective, it's huge! Quick question, think there is another hook to use other than the EWG? I fish some heavy pads, was wondering if it sat flatter, w/o. the "keel" of the hook coming out of the bottom, that it might drag better across the pads?

I understand what you are getting at and I would not go any narrower on the gap than the hook that comes with the bait. However, the "Dark Lord of swimbaits" smily436.gif does have a point, the beast is recommended by Mickey on the site, which does not have the sharp angle of the Gamakatsu, which could make a difference. Personally, I have not had a issue, the nose is what normally catches on the pads and I just pop it off. If you keep your rod tip high, the nose normally comes out of the water which eliminates a lot of hang ups.

I hope that is what you were looking for.

OwnerTwistlockBeast.jpg

Riggedsideview.jpg

good review Dave.

I use the supplied hook but put a Reaction Innovations Screwed-Up bullet head in front of the bait. I modify the bullet head by removing the stem of plastic that is in the center of the spring. This plastic bullet-head does a good job of protecting the nose of the bait and letting the bait slide up the line free of the hook.

it appears that R-I isn't making them anymore but is Paycheck is...

http://www.thehookuptackle.com/fishing- ... /Head+Case

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Paycheck ... PCBHC.html

I take a tiny dremel bit and grind out the center plastic stem where it extends past the back of the bullet. It makes the thing a little weaker but it doesn't tear up the head of the baits as much. Just know that you will ruin one or two in this process as the dremel bit is a little unforgiving.

Just to add something. I use this bait sub surface 90% of the time. Add split shot or weighted beast hook(love these hooks for alot of baits). I pump it and make it the legs kick in and out. Letting it sink a foot or two and fishing it parallel to floating cover, like docks, hyacinth, or mat it straight money. Guess ima have to start clicking pics this year now that I have people to share em with! :lol::lol::lol:

• 1 year later...

Just to resurrect the post and show that people are still catching fish on this bait, here is my wife with a nice fish from earlier this week. She was throwing it in the pads on her inshore rig (penn fierce 7'h/penn fierce reel with 50# power pro). WHen they hit this bait, they kill it. (as can be seen by the lack of legs left on the bait lol)post-2302-1425298902363_thumb.jpg