Mattlures STRONG Shad preview

KeepinItReelFishing

I love these baits but IMO the larger ones are better. I only have one of the small versions but it seems to roll out when not swam slow. The medium and large don't do this though. All of mine are SS. Maybe the heavier smaller ones don't roll out. 

My smaller one does that too. But, the fish I caught this past weekend on Sunday with the smaller one, I started to fish it with a slow retrieve and pop the rod to make it dart left, right or almost a 180. That method seemed to help trigger the bites I got.  I still don't have a ton of time with it on the water but food for thought.

My smaller one does that too. But, the fish I caught this past weekend on Sunday with the smaller one, I started to fish it with a slow retrieve and pop the rod to make it dart left, right or almost a 180. That method seemed to help trigger the bites I got. I still don't have a ton of time with it on the water but food for thought.

On the other hand I also prefer the 8.5" but noticed it needs to be a medium to fast retrieve to get the thump (and boy does it thump) and falls over on a slow retrieve..for the application I would use it for it seems ok..no fish yet but I've been throwing the phoney more so I haven't given it is fair time.

Took the 6" out yesterday slayed the striper me and my chick caught over 150 easy most shakers but took 4 nice fat girls home that went 22" to the big one being 28" was a blast! Great lure mine do not roll at high speeds even on the 6" I can burn it and stays straight!

I've got a 7.5" and 8.5" in SS and I've got to say I like the versatility of the 7.5" a little better than the larger bait. I can burn it or roll it slow and get the solid thump unlike the 8.5" which needs some speed to get it going. On the other hand, it's hard to beat the overall mass of the larger bait when you're looking for the big ones! Great baits. Just need to stick some fish on em'!

• 2 years later...
On 7/21/2016 at 11:41 AM, waynem said:

Carl, that was one heck of a thorough review of the bait.  I'm looking forward to giving it some time in the water.  Like you, I'm too far north to be considered prime shad country but we do have alewives, herring, white perch, and migratory shad - all which have that overall shape and coloration.  

And if sometime down the road Matt decides to do it in a golden shiner color he certainly has that color pattern down.  The pic attached is a prototype gold shiner glide (not the strong shad) that he never commercialized.  But look at how good of a golden shiner color he can do.

post-21326-0-71809300-1469115644_thumb.jpg

DAMN I NEED ONE OF THESE ASAP!!!! THAT SHINER IS SOOOOOOOO SEXY!!!!  I WOULD LOOOOVVVVEEE A STRONG SHAD IN GOLDEN SHINER COLOR!!!!!