G loomis 957

ajaustin44

I have a swbr957 loomis rod and am very happy with it.  It was specifically purchased to handle the deps 250 and anything else in that weight range.  I have it hooked up with a cardiff 400a and both work great together.  I can toss a deps 250 with ease and get some good distance as well.  Unfortunately I have yet to hook up to a fish with the rod.  But I definitely feel that the rod will handle just about any monster bass or large freshwater fish I hook into.

• 5 months later...

Do you feel the 10 oz rating is accurate and not overrated? I'm looking at buying one but not sure. Thanks for the info.

I feel it's not overrated, the deps 250 is rated at 6.5 oz and I don't think another 3.5 oz will over load the rod. This is just an opinion though, since the heaviest bait I've tossed on it was a lena shad and a deps 250. I have tied on a 13 oz dead twitch but that was just at home and I could definitely feel the weight to the bait. I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

Do you feel the 10 oz rating is accurate and not overrated? I'm looking at buying one but not sure. Thanks for the info.

At least for the IMX 957, I wouldn't recommend going over 7, maybe 8oz. I've tied on a Matt glide and Mom, just to see how they felt, and didn't feel comfortable casting them further than the length of my boat, felt like I'd definitely break off if I tried to cast any further, zero control whatsoever. I always stick to weights in the middle of what a rod's rated to

I had the loomis gl2 957 and I would throw baits up to the Baa which is around 7 ounces I think. The blank handled the baa alright IMO, but the handle on the rod is alittle to short for my likening. I tryed throwing the 10 inch freestyle at 9 ounces on it, and it was too heavy. I would think it will handle a deps 250 fine, but like Jr basser said seems the middle of a rods weight rating is where it performs best at.

Guest Richieg

I had the loomis gl2 957 and I would throw baits up to the Baa which is around 7 ounces I think. The blank handled the baa alright IMO, but the handle on the rod is alittle to short for my likening. I tryed throwing the 10 inch freestyle at 9 ounces on it, and it was too heavy. I would think it will handle a deps 250 fine, but like Jr basser said seems the middle of a rods weight rating is where it performs best at.

Hi, thanks for the info. I think you have a big collection of swimbaits? Seems like I've seen your Instagram page before. Thanks

Hi, thanks for the info. I think you have a big collection of swimbaits? Seems like I've seen your Instagram page before. Thanks

No problem man, you might have, my name on Instagram is swimbaitinginthedeepsouth

Guest Richieg

No problem man, you might have, my name on Instagram is swimbaitinginthedeepsouth

Hi,

Nice collection of lures you have there. Are you south of New Orleans? My daughter goes to law school at Loyola. Looks like you have some good fishing over there. Thanks