Sad Slammer Sonata

timcauliffe

Tim, good luck the second time around. Same thing happened to my nephew when we were out at Quabbin last year. He set the hook on a Slammer hit, got the fish half way in, ....gone !!! Got the lure in, and, discovered that one hook of the rear treble "snapped" at the bend. About fifteen minutes before he got that hit, I mentioned that I loved Mike's lures, but, I Always swap out both trebles for "Magic Eye, forged Gamma trebles. In fact, most of all my lures get FORGED trebles swapped out when they don't come with the forged.

Ouch!  I think we've all been there, and have experienced that sickening moment when the hooks let loose.  I was there about 6 weeks ago when I had a solid 6 - 7 lb CO largemouth let loose 10 or so feet from the rod tip.  Same thing - the Owners were a little dull - still sharp, but not sticky sharp.

The end of the slump and monster fish is going to happen - you're still heading out, you're still grinding, and at some point a Northeast Beast is going to inhale the Slammer so deeply that the only way it gets off is if it can spew out it's guts, sea cucumber style.

• 2 weeks later...