Request: North Fork Composites

C_R_TX

Anyone fishing the 807 or 808 blank? 

Or even an Edge rod?

The 1/2- 8 oz rating makes me hesitant on what the actual sweet spot is on the 808.

Sounds like they are more parabolic in design. Thinking it could be a good treble hook rod for glide baits.

I'd suggest a phone call into Batson Enterprises who is partnering with North Fork (Gary Loomis).  When I've had questions on Batson blanks I've gotten Bill Batson on the phone to answer any questions.   You may end up speaking directly to  Bill or Gary Loomis about the products.  These are not huge companies and I've found you can talk to someone knowledgeable a lot easier than in the big tackle companies.

• 4 weeks later...

I spoke with a guy at Batson about what I am looking for, and he suggested I check out the "bounce back" options NFC offer for steelhead and salmon.

Because the swim bait line from NFC stops at 807, he suggested the "BB 806-1". It will be a bit more parabolic and better suited for the 4-5 oz treble hook baits.

Anyone else gone this route? 

post-20912-0-77727900-1486450497_thumb.png

post-20912-0-96862700-1486450515_thumb.png

• 2 years later...

Well I am very late to this topic but I have a lot of experience with Edge rods and I believe I can speak on NFC blanks as well because Edge Rods are built on NFC blanks. I have the Swimbait 808 and I recently through my Deps 250 on it and although it was able to cast it, I felt undergunned. Keep in mind, that's a 6.6 ish oz bait on a rod rated up to 8 oz. I believe the sweet spot for this rod is 5.5 oz. I've heard talk of them making an 809 which is rated up to 10 oz but I believe it will be good with up to 7 oz baits. If anyone has questions about NFC or Edge Rods in regards to either different models or contact/ordering feel free to respond, start a new thread or contact me!

• 1 year later...
On 1/8/2020 at 1:23 PM, Ira Waldman said:

Well I am very late to this topic but I have a lot of experience with Edge rods and I believe I can speak on NFC blanks as well because Edge Rods are built on NFC blanks. I have the Swimbait 808 and I recently through my Deps 250 on it and although it was able to cast it, I felt undergunned. Keep in mind, that's a 6.6 ish oz bait on a rod rated up to 8 oz. I believe the sweet spot for this rod is 5.5 oz. I've heard talk of them making an 809 which is rated up to 10 oz but I believe it will be good with up to 7 oz baits. If anyone has questions about NFC or Edge Rods in regards to either different models or contact/ordering feel free to respond, start a new thread or contact me!

Can you comment on what NFC blanks would be comparable to the Rogue 807 & 808 blanks? I am looking for a swimbait blank that has a nice tip load but shuts off midway into the backbone of the rod...

Not sure if it’s the same blank but I know leviathan uses nfc blanks and my omega rod that’s rated to 8 oz feels about the same range you described, the 250 feels like too much but slings the hell out of anything up to mid 5 range

13 hours ago, triple_illusion said:

Can you comment on what NFC blanks would be comparable to the Rogue 807 & 808 blanks? I am looking for a swimbait blank that has a nice tip load but shuts off midway into the backbone of the rod...

Welcome back stranger

I recently picked up the 809-1 (5/8-10oz) what ever that means, such a broad range, can anyone cares to elaborate on that? This is my first custom build so basically dont know squat. Well, starting the build this month, just picking up the parts as i go. It bends the same as my og loomis swbr957. I am hoping the sweet spot will be around 8-10oz for chucking them super big baits...welp, we'll see how it goes! It was on the Black friday sale ($70) so im not complaining. 

I just had Mark Neflas build me a rod on the 808 blank. Not sure if it’s a different blank in some ways than the edge 808 (I don’t think it is) but this blank is POWERFUL. I’d call it a 5-10oz rod easily. Definitely not a 1/2-8. It’s stiffer than an LDC XH, and almost all rods I’ve seen (irod, phenix, etc) rated 2-8. When I met with Mark to get that rod wrapped, he was confident I could throw the 10” hudd and hinkle trout on it with no problems.

There’s a guy in Europe that reviewed the 807, and I believe North Fork recommended he throw the 250 on the 807 not the 808. I’ll see if I can find that review and link it here.

Jeremy

• 1 month later...
On 1/17/2021 at 10:21 AM, JeremyWrightt said:

I just had Mark Neflas build me a rod on the 808 blank. Not sure if it’s a different blank in some ways than the edge 808 (I don’t think it is) but this blank is POWERFUL. I’d call it a 5-10oz rod easily. Definitely not a 1/2-8. It’s stiffer than an LDC XH, and almost all rods I’ve seen (irod, phenix, etc) rated 2-8. When I met with Mark to get that rod wrapped, he was confident I could throw the 10” hudd and hinkle trout on it with no problems.

There’s a guy in Europe that reviewed the 807, and I believe North Fork recommended he throw the 250 on the 807 not the 808. I’ll see if I can find that review and link it here.

Jeremy

The Edge 808 is on a different blank than the NFC 808. The Edge 808 is great for 2.5-6.5oz. I don't have much experience with the NFC 808 but I know it is much heavier.

On 1/12/2021 at 9:19 AM, triple_illusion said:

I am not familiar with the Rogue 807 or 808 but I would recommend the NFC 807 for 4-8oz and the 808 as 6-10oz. 

NFC/Edge rods are top notch Keep in Mind I haven't used any of NFC swimbait blanks but have used their Standard bass fishing blanks. However with this said I did order a Steelhead rod from Edge in March of 2020 and It didn't show up to my door until Feb of 2021. Recently I did order a X-Ray blank form NFC and it came in 3 months, not to mention I did pay a 30 dollar shipping and taxes and their customer service is terrible so it might just depend on your luck when your order will arrive. But all this aside the NFC X-Ray blank is the most sensitive blanks period. I had the entire line up of NRX, Diawa Steez, Loomis Conquests, Megabass USA destroyer and P5, Poision Adrena and after touching the X-Ray I sold them all. The only rod I have left is the Megabass Destroyer FMJ but I will probably just sell it for a X-Ray. The NFC X-Ray outshines them all in terms of Sensitivity. The only rod/blank I know for a fact is more sensitive is Phenix's K2 however living in California and fishing the California Delta the K2 backbone is terrible I ended up losing so much fish I ended up selling it. I did snag a 2020 kistler rod built on a NFC X-Ray blank for 200 and its amazing. I believe that the new 2021 Kistler Rods no longer use the NFC X-Ray blanks but nonetheless the are still amazing. Again I have not touched the Swimbait Rods/Blanks from NFC/Edge rods but using the standard rods I don't see a reason why you guys would not like them besides all the problems with the wait times and customer service and 30 dollar shipping.  

Updates. Rod is wrapped. Only had enough time to pool test. Loading up the deps 250 was a breeze. Does not feel underpowered what so ever.  I’m able to cast with precision on the 6.5oz lure. Going to give it a real break in soon. 

B2631A95-1E13-4264-98FA-9BC7CB91826C.jpeg

6E72EDD8-D138-46DA-B65F-59800D0E9F7F.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Jzxmnky said:

Updates. Rod is wrapped. Only had enough time to pool test. Loading up the deps 250 was a breeze. Does not feel underpowered what so ever.  I’m able to cast with precision on the 6.5oz lure. Going to give it a real break in soon. 

B2631A95-1E13-4264-98FA-9BC7CB91826C.jpeg

6E72EDD8-D138-46DA-B65F-59800D0E9F7F.jpeg

IMG_1778.MOV

Thats a Nice pool. I wish I had a pool.