Keeper Glide

danthefisherman

Still don't know how to embed videos, but here's two that I filmed with my homemade gopro lol. The first swam alright but I can't seem to figure out how to eliminate blow out on a hard rip retrieve. The bait just seems too unstable and wobbly for my liking. I tried different hook and line tie placements with some better results but no where near where I'd like it to be.

If anyone can chime in on these swim tests that would be great! I don't actually have a real glide to compare mine with so I can't judge it adequately. Thanks!

Dan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fM7uCPJxVQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1mHsABaLJw

I'm currently at a little over 50% 1:1:1 by volume, but this is exactly what I was going to try next...maybe starting with 75%.The "pin holes" are what I'm trying to avoid as I already get quite a few with my current ratio, but I just purchased some slow set resin to mess around with which might help.

Thanks for your input, Luke. Much appreciated!

I'm currently at a little over 50% 1:1:1 by volume, but this is exactly what I was going to try next...maybe starting with 75%.The "pin holes" are what I'm trying to avoid as I already get quite a few with my current ratio, but I just purchased some slow set resin to mess around with which might help.

Thanks for your input, Luke. Much appreciated!

Slow set resin is a good start. I don't like working with something that kicks in just a couple of minutes. Heat your molds, baby powder them, and that might help. Pin holes will hopefully be hid by all that awesome detail you put in there. I know they are ugly, but my hinkle trout has a bunch and a few other high end baits do too. I would go way up in micros, and do a couple test baits. Pin holes or not, that will show you if it will increase the balance point. Do one at 75% and one at 100%. Test em out. If you end up liking that bouyancy you could start using something like featherlite if the pin holes get worse after mixing so much filler in.

Just thinking out loud... not knocking your ideas Jake.

If you add more micro balloons, in return you have to add more weight. Wouldn't you get the same results, assuming your weighting points are the same ? I really don't know. To me it looks like the bait needs to be weighted more evenly...not so much in the belly. I still think the joint placement would benefit being further back. This what I see, I'm no physics guru.

What kind of micro balloon ratio are you running? If you push it to 100% by volume you might increase stability. Probably gonna get more pin holes and what not though.

Try this ^

Honestly, it just looks like your joint is too tight. Loosen it up a bit!

Mmm good food for thought. Thank you all so much for the input!

I guess I'll have to try everything haha. The higher micro balloon ratio actually makes a lot of sense to me as it increases the difference in the density of the top and bottom of the bait. A lower center of mass should provide for more balance overall...or at least a quicker recovery to an upright position. With all my other baits I never had to worry about attaining such a balance because I wasn't ripping them on retrieve, and I think my mistake has been trying to treat a glide the same way.

If you add more micro balloons, in return you have to add more weight. Wouldn't you get the same results, assuming your weighting points are the same ? I really don't know. To me it looks like the bait needs to be weighted more evenly...not so much in the belly. I still think the joint placement would benefit being further back. This what I see, I'm no physics guru.

Agree. This also work for me. Most bait I pour are, 2:1:1. Part A, 1:1 microballoon and A. Part B, 1:1 microballoon and B. It'll increase the density and also the bubbles, but you can fill those up afterwards. It'll allow you to add your ballast up higher into the body so the bait doesn't roll too much. Again, It's all trial and error. It's a headache, but well worth it in the end.

I see where you are coming from completely. I have increased stability in my own glides by upping the ratio however, so it's something I've put into effect with some success.

Dan, another good thing to do if you haven't already is to stick some suspend dots or strips in different places on the bait and see if it changes the swim for the better. Maybe add heavier hooks and do a slightly heavier sink and test one out.

It'll allow you to add your ballast up higher into the body so the bait doesn't roll too much.

Interesting...have you found that ballast too close to the belly of the lure causes it to roll? In my mind, the further the weight is to one end of the bait (the bottom) the more balanced it is. Otherwise the resin underneath the ballast could counteract the difference in densities. I could be completely wrong though...

Dan, another good thing to do if you haven't already is to stick some suspend dots or strips in different places on the bait and see if it changes the swim for the better. Maybe add heavier hooks and do a slightly heavier sink and test one out.

I've been trying about every weight arrangement imaginable with little overall improvement haha. So my guess is that it's either the resin-microballoon ratio like you said or that in combination to joint play and hook placement. I was actually considering lighter hooks because I am currently running 1/0 2X Owner St-41s that are pretty heavy. It might be possible that they throw the bait off balance because they are basically free hanging weights in themselves, but again I could be completely wrong...

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while, and I was getting my butt kicked by the whole blowout problem where my glide would become unbalanced on a rip retrieve. I tried changing many different factors to fix this...some of which helped and some that didn't. It's been hard because of classwork to get out onto the lake for testing sessions, and the bathtub just isn't enough to accurately judge the bait's performance.

Recently though, I think I've found a combination of changes that will improve the action significantly. These changes were increasing the microballoon ratio to 100%, switching to a soft tail, and trying to localize the ballast weights close to the joint. My theory was that the resin tail was creating too much "lift" in the rear, and adding weight or replacing it with a soft tail to counter this would help with balancing the bait better. I tried adding weight all the way at the tip of the tail to keep it down and it did seem to help a ton. The only problem was that adding weight so far pack seemed to hinder the baits ability to cut side to side, so I opted to go with a soft tail.

I'm putting this out there because you guys deserve the insight for all the support you've shown me. Keep in mind that every bait is different and these changes may not even have solved the issue (haven't had the chance to test in open water), but my brother was having similar problems with a smaller glide and found that these changes helped with his bait's balance as well. I hadn't realized how much difficulty I would encounter trying to make a glide bait I could be satisfied with, but hopefully anyone aspiring to go down this road can learn from what I've learned and benefit from it. Who knows, maybe I'm just too picky or may glide has a bad profile haha!

Anyways, as I'm waiting for a chance to try out my newest glide prototype I couldn't resist tinkering with my very first pour. It had so many holes and cuts in it that I decided to have a little fun by making it a multi-joint for kicks. The thing was plain ugly with huge chunks of resin missing, but I chopped it up some more and took it to the lake for a swim. It swam INSANE, no joke! I guess I don't really have much to compare it with besides a bull shad, but I instantly knew I had to fix this one up for personal use. I even managed a nice follower in the cold! Here's a few photos of my multi-joint with a quick spray paint/acrylic paint scheme. Nothing fancy, but it's good enough for me. Man it feels good to finish up a new bait! I haven't painted anything of my own since November of last year haha! Enough of my ranting, signing out...enjoy!

post-23790-0-89879900-1510629453_thumb.jpg

post-23790-0-09479900-1510629477_thumb.jpg

post-23790-0-15942100-1510629488_thumb.jpg

post-23790-0-16859700-1510629505_thumb.jpg

post-23790-0-77569400-1510629513_thumb.jpg

post-23790-0-59130600-1510629522_thumb.jpg

post-23790-0-28373600-1510629537_thumb.jpg

post-23790-0-44110700-1510629546_thumb.jpg

post-23790-0-19878100-1510629556_thumb.jpg

post-23790-0-55756000-1510629570_thumb.jpg

post-23790-0-13292000-1510629579_thumb.jpg

post-23790-0-94774700-1510629587_thumb.jpg