Shimano Tranx 300/400

Nufo

So I got to check out the 300 Tranx at the ISE yesterday.  Your going to want to pay attention to this reel.  It is  a complete new design top to bottom.  It's profile and balance are different from the curado and lexa.  While I did not get to see the 400 size, I understand it is much smaller  than the lexa 400 and abu toro beast reels.  

the reel will come in both right and left and in two gear ratios.  Feel free to add your personal reviews to this thread as this reel is released.

Line Capacity was also a concern I had in the 300 size model. The lexa 300 and curado 300 hold 190 yards of 14 pound test I believe, which is just barely adequate capacity for 25lb test IMO. According to this chart the tranx 300 holds 180 yards of 14lb. So this reel doesn't hold quite as much line which might actually matter somewhat considering I wanted to spool it with 25lb big game. If you wanna spool it with 20 lb test you'd prob be alright in line Capacity IMO.

post-18891-0-07935000-1485131973_thumb.png

your asking for trouble fishing 25 on a 300 size reel.  Too much or an impact on inches per crank with an empty spool.  Better off with a 400 size than loosing the fish of a life time.

I hear ya man, I've been doing it for about 7 years without any problems. I can get aleast 100 yards on the spool and The longest cast only get down to about half spool maybe. I'm not fishing for anything that's to take a bunch of line off the reel like stripers or anything. Only fishing for largemouth. I haven't had too many fish that pulled any drag at all really.

your asking for trouble fishing 25 on a 300 size reel.  Too much or an impact on inches per crank with an empty spool.  Better off with a 400 size than loosing the fish of a life time.

I Havnt had any problems with that out of all the swimbait fish I've caught.

If anyone has gotten to handle both the 300 and 400 sizes, I'd appreciate hearing how much larger the 400 size is physically versus the 300.  The weight  difference between the 2 sizes is only about half an oz.  Is the 400 taller or just wider?  Thanks in advance.  Sounds like a great low profile reel.

If anyone has gotten to handle both the 300 and 400 sizes, I'd appreciate hearing how much larger the 400 size is physically versus the 300.  The weight  difference between the 2 sizes is only about half an oz.  Is the 400 taller or just wider?  Thanks in advance.  Sounds like a great low profile reel.

I did a bit of digging around so I can answer my own question.  The 400/401 differs in having a wider spool than the 300/301.  

• 1 month later...

Just got my Tranx 300 in the mail this past week. I also have a power handle on the way (only comes with the high speed in the 300 size and I had to order it separately).

I tried to upload pics, but I'm getting errors saying the file size is too big (sorry, I'm new here). I'll certainly post some updates once I get a chance to use it!