Anyone else mod a mattlures meathead?

Campobassmaster

sounds dumb.. the bill is in it for a reason... the baits shape isn't going to help it swim much either...

Well then...... I sanded down and scraped off the tiny bit of resin on the bill and I can always glue it back in.... I've had the same color and wake meathead type before too

The lip mandates the water resistance necessary to engage the rest of the lure and impart action. It definitely doesn't hurt it. Seems a mod should improve... I doubt this is the case here, you'll have to impart your own action now and could literally do the same with the lip intact. I don't want to discourage experimentation as curiosity is good but in this case you'd be better off to aquire Matt's Surface Glide Trout and have more action available to you with the benefit of more size and wake and subsequently additional drawing power. However, don't sleep on the Meatheads they have there place and a worthy addition to any serious hunters arsenal. #MattsB4Pats

The lip mandates the water resistance necessary to engage the rest of the lure and impart action. It definitely doesn't hurt it. Seems a mod should improve... I doubt this is the case here, you'll have to impart your own action now and could literally do the same with the lip intact. I don't want to discourage experimentation as curiosity is good but in this case you'd be better off to aquire Matt's Surface Glide Trout and have more action available to you with the benefit of more size and wake and subsequently additional drawing power. However, don't sleep on the Meatheads they have there place and a worthy addition to any serious hunters arsenal. #MattsB4Pats

Thanks Justin! 

I got to somewhat test it around in my bathtub because my pool is covered up with a secure cover, hard to get off, especially alone.

It swam decently without it but I was using some coiled up/ memory  pline cxx with a lot of line twist/memory.   I made it so I can replace the bill and it fits snug which is nice. I can superglue it in if I really need to, and outlined the bill if I need to make a replacement.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a reason I never released a lipless Meat head. Because I didn't like the way they swam.  I assume you will end up with the same results.

I did end up agreeing, thankfully the lip came out clean and I was able to get it back in cleanly too. was cool to see how it worked though.

There is a reason I never released a lipless Meat head. Because I didn't like the way they swam.  I assume you will end up with the same results.

If it ain't broke... there are plenty of multi jointed lip less swimbaits on the market. The meathead wake is solid as it stands.